Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys seeing while towing heavy? ~13,000lbs so total ~20,000total.

It was 107° outside and we were having some serious eot problems. Cooler is ~3000mi new with royal purple fass2500.

The ect was solid 198° water meth injection 625cc. The trans never went over 200°.

Going to change the sensor and see what happens but something isn't right.

Mods are powermax, h11 studs, 190 8hole injectors, 54v ficm, 5" exhaust, stage3 snow with water meth 625cc single nozzle in elbow, accufab elbow, egr/ cooler delete, afe intake, blow off, 7.3 alumn intercooler for now. 6.0 one blew.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Check your EOT, ECT, IAT temps on a cold engine with KOEO. They should all agree with each other +/- 1* or so. If they do the sensor is probably okay.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually checked that when we just went to dinner. They all were within 1*. After we dumped the 6.4 that was on the trailer we dropped the trailer also and still saw 20+ difference.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else watch their eot/ect?

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is not right...It shouldn't go over 230ish ever on oil especially when you coolant is at 201.

I have hit 215-218, but my coolant was at 208ish

My guess is your new oil cooler is already clogged...do you have a coolant filter? How many times did flush your coolant when you did HGs?

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
I've been watching mine with an Edge Insight. I'm not convinced the "15* delta" BS applies to trucks running EGR deltes. I do admit 264* is high but when pulling you are pumping that oil. High OAT with high EOT should be expected but at what temps I don't know.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Less than 3000 mi old? Brand new oil when it was done new coolant and coolant filter filter too. Has had a coolant filter on it for a few years. Running elc coolant.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been watching mine with an Edge Insight. I'm not convinced the "15* delta" BS applies to trucks running EGR deltes. I do admit 264* is high but when pulling you are pumping that oil. High OAT with high EOT should be expected but at what temps I don't know.
You're right, the 15* doesn't mean diddly squat without an EGR cooler. It's just an indication that your EGR cooler is about to take a crap. Although watching the trend over time would be a good indication that your oil cooler is blocking off.

Without a cooler, you should be concerned about keeping EOT's within spec. IIRC, that's high 250ish. Maybe 260 something. Certainly the OP is exceeding spec and needs to get a good flush on the system and replace the oil cooler.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a new cooler. It shouldn't be bad within 3000 miles. It has a coolant filter system and a bypass oil filter system and has only had royal purple in it for a few years.

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
I found in the Ford work manual the EOT normal operating range as -40* to 302*. If the OP was only expressing an issue with high oil temps I'm guessing the techs would say it's good.

ECT is within the Ford range as well. I'd watch for a trend on the oil temps. You got to keep mental notes or write it down. If it continues to creep up and never decrease that's a indicator of clogging effecting the heat transfer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's the range of the EOT thermistor sensor (-40 to 302 *F on a 0-5v analog signal). Not the acceptable operating range of the oil. You'll probably see a DTC long before 302*. Probably a P298 or possibly a P1184.

Anything over 250/260* for an extended period, IMO, should be a heads up to start looking for problem. These trucks are way to efficient at removing heat to be running that high.

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
Yep any spread of over 20 degrees is cause for concern... Need to replace oil cooler and egr cooler.
He's running an EGR delete so it doesn't apply.

The PCM will defuel the motor at 253* but I'm sure there are other parameters it will measure before the de-fuel happens. Since you were pulling heavy the PCM may consider this acceptable.

·
Along for the ride
185 Posts
What is an acceptable spread with an EGR delete, new oil cooler and coolant filter? I'm about to do this (filter already there). Had not heard about a different spread with an EGR delete.

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
What is an acceptable spread with an EGR delete, new oil cooler and coolant filter? I'm about to do this (filter already there). Had not heard about a different spread with an EGR delete.
I'm trying to find that info myself. The ECT/EOT delta could be a good rule to follow but to what extent. I'm running a 20* delta right now and my EOT has seen 215*. I got 170k on the truck right now tuned and modded with an EGR delete. I never flushed the coolant, been using synthetic oil since about 20k, and drive the truck daily.

FACTS/OPINIONS:
1) The TSB that uses the ECT/EOT delta is for trucks running a stock EGR cooler. The TSB was released to prevent EGR coolers from rupturing. The TSB says to run the truck at WOT/heavy load when reading the delta. The TSB delta DOES NOT apply to trucks running any EGR delete kit.

2) The PCM will defuel the motor when it sees an EOT of 253*F. I don't know all the other parameters it measures but be aware it's not just EOT only. The PCM should be looking at engine load, IAT, BARO, etc before it decides the motor is in danger.

3) Motor oils have a max continuous operating temperature. I have been told the ranges of 250*-350* for most motor oils is a safe bet. If you run a synthetic you could use the 350* as your limit. If you use the Ford PCM limit it's 253*.

SO you could run synthetic oil with a EGR delete seeing ECT/EOT spread of MORE than 15*. There are other safeguards to stop motor damage. The oil can stand the heat (to an extent) as the PCM will be right there to back you up. It's your call in the end.

Ford shop manuals do tie ECT/EOT together when trouble shooting codes/issues. You will find they want the cooling system checked if you have a high EOT concern.

I'm not convinced that the TSB should apply to trucks with an EGR delete. YES the delta is a good all be it conservative rule to follow but I think it is FAR from gospel for EGR deletes.

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
I used to run a test at Cummins Engine Co. called the Hot Box Test. This consisted of running at engine at rated power for 200 hours with coolant temperature of 230F. Since Cummins engines use oil to coolant heat exchangers, this meant oil pan temperatures of 265F. Our standard oil for test engines was 15w40 Valvoline Premium Blue (no surprise there!), and we never had a problem with oil oxidation.
I got this info from another forum...food for thought!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm. Interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts