Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been awhile since i've been on here.. Recently replaced my batteries with 2 optima red tops,,, there doing good and i like how they look in the engine compartment but i'm getting ready to replace my upper and lower radiator hoses.. I've got them on order ,, Which coolant is best for my truck? it has the original ford coolant in it but i was curious on my options.. been looking on here and seems the two choices are the ford stuff or napa..:fordoval:

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
i like the zerex coolant that is diesel specific. Its about $15/gal for concentrate at napa. Its rated for cummins, international, etc. Its pink and an ELC coolant. You'd need to do a complete change over, through. Its silicate free, the ford stuff is not. Coolant filtration kit isnt a bad idea either, i just put one on my 6.0. cant wait to see what it removes from the system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me caution you on your use of coolant. Using the wrong collant in a diesel truck can destroy your engine thru cavitation. I'm not a expert on this but did look into it. Be sure to use a diesel approved coolant, I used Cat in m 6.0 with great results. Using test strips revealed the condition of m coolant. I never had to use additive in the 3 years I had the vehicle. Be careful, do it right.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Ford diesels haven't really been prone to cavitation since the 94 and older IDI 7.3s and 6.9s.

The owners manual should have specification that any brand will list if they meet that specification or not. I don't know enough about the 6.4 specifically to list one.

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
Rotella ELC for me. Did a complete system flush after a water pump and thermostat install. Also running a coolant filter. No SCA additive needed with the Rotella ELC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts