Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
powerstroked
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about building a 1996 7.3 and putting it in a 2000 SD wanting to get at or above 500hp. wanted to know if its worth it to rebuild the engine. almost all new internals. engine has around 266000 miles. going to try not to bore unless it needs it. the engine is complete just no injectors and turbo. is it worth it.
Thanks

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Pull it apart, hone it, new pistons, bearings and rings...

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
thinking about building a 1996 7.3 and putting it in a 2000 SD wanting to get at or above 500hp. wanted to know if its worth it to rebuild the engine. almost all new internals. engine has around 266000 miles. going to try not to bore unless it needs it. the engine is complete just no injectors and turbo. is it worth it.
Thanks
I would talk to guys with some real experince such as Hot Rod Tractor, Beans, Nate, Dave etc... as to what needs to be done and the best way to go about it given your end goals. Potentially it could save you a lot of money doing it right the first time with good advice and guidance.

·
powerstroked
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is the difference between the pistons. also what about coating what does it do

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yeah, none of us have "real" experience...
Come on that's not what I meant. :( You really read the intent wrong. Simply that some on here have experience building tons of these and likely know the most efficient way and what can and can not be gotten away with that comes from doing many of them. Given the fact from his comment seem to be he wants to minimize work done to it if possible. It was pointing to some of the experienced guys on here, not to belittle or undervalue anyone else's opinion or experience. Sorry you took it that way.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Damn talk about getting your own comment thrown back at yourself. I just got thru reading the tidewater engine thread where its getting a bit silly then I came back here and was like:doh: whats going on with people today. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
That thread did make me a little cranky, bunch of freakin machinists in there all of a sudden, and nobody wants to listen to the dude who's been through a couple engines...

·
powerstroked
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im wanting 500hp or better. but good with 500. only want to do this once and right

·
powerstroked
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was in that thread seems like a good deal but if i can make this one work i can spent more money on other performance parts.

·
powerstroked
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thinking about building a 1996 7.3 and putting it in a 2000 SD wanting to get at or above 500hp. wanted to know if its worth it to rebuild the engine. almost all new internals. would put new internals in if rebuilt. engine has around 266000 miles. going to try not to bore unless it needs it. the engine is complete just no injectors and turbo. is it worth it.
Thanks
mess up on writing

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Please do not take my word on things as I am passing along what I have learned here. For a solid 500 I think you can certainly go with stock forged rods but if it were me I woudl have them gone of magnuafluxed , cryo'd possibly, and cleaned up like *** and a couple others offer.

500 Hp is really not that bad from what I have seen. Even some stock PRMs are living at that level right now.:eek: Not something I woudl do on a truck I had to rely on personal. But as you have said, and I would be the same way, I would want to at least to some degree over build to give me the best possible chance of a long trouble free life from it.

What would others recommend for machine work for him?

Basic work?

Anything extra such as decking the heads a bit or a bit of bowl work to put a radius on the bowl edge?

I would think if the rods are good having them magnafluxed cryo'd and cleaned up a bit. Basically something simialr to what *** offers.

At a 500-525 do you already have a plan for the injectors turbo fuel HPOP?

·
powerstroked
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
was thinking about DI mini mes, headers, bellowed up pipes, teminator hpop and for a turbo no clue so many out there thinking H2E kit let me know what you think is the best for it

·
powerstroked
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
id do the headers for the look and sound. what kinda diffenece does it make on the turbo for a 6spd compared to an automatic

1 - 20 of 26 Posts