Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the temps on my h&s didn't seem quite right, seemed as if the temp want coming up and it took a little longer to warm up. I tested the watts by putting a kill a watt meter between the block heater plug and wall outlet, zero watts being pulled. I cut the end off, put a new end on it, still nothing.

Got the multi meter out, tested the plug at the front of the truck, nothing at all. I bought a new heater cord from international, too dark outside to put it in right now. The shop didn't have a new heater core though.

Do the cores go bad that often? Anything I should look for as to what might be the issue? If replacing the core, how much anti freeze will drain out of the the core hole?

Thanks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
yes they burn out it happens with any block heater out there and your gonna loose a lot of coolant if you havent done a flush and change of your coolant now is a good time to do that seeing as your going to be dumpin the system or if you have already spent some money on doin that just capture your coolant and re use it

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple things I learned......

Heater core was burnt out, multimeter showed nothing. The cord was good, even though I hacked it to death looking for a fault in it.

To remove the heater core, take the brace holding the positive line off the outside frame rail going to the starter. Then unbolt the line on the inside of the frame from the starter. Not the actual power line from the starter, but there is a 2nd bracket holding in on there.

Then loosen the heater core, have one person twist it out from the bottom and a 2nd person throw the new core in there. Make sure you have a bucket below, you will lose a minimal amount of fluid. I dumped the fluid out and put some fresh coolant back in.

Hooked the heater up to a cord and measured the watts, shows under the 1000w it says it is, but it's working, that's the bottom line.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I attached the picture of my heater core I removed for anyone wanting reference....pretty toasted

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
Couple things I learned......

Heater core was burnt out, multimeter showed nothing. The cord was good, even though I hacked it to death looking for a fault in it.

To remove the heater core, take the brace holding the positive line off the outside frame rail going to the starter. Then unbolt the line on the inside of the frame from the starter. Not the actual power line from the starter, but there is a 2nd bracket holding in on there.

Then loosen the heater core, have one person twist it out from the bottom and a 2nd person throw the new core in there. Make sure you have a bucket below, you will lose a minimal amount of fluid. I dumped the fluid out and put some fresh coolant back in.

Hooked the heater up to a cord and measured the watts, shows under the 1000w it says it is, but it's working, that's the bottom line.
Thanks. I have never had to mess with mine but if she ever does go, this is good info to have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick question, trying to determine if I have a bad cord and / or block heater. I tested continuity through plug that was good, that would leave me to believe that the heater is good also ? Or could I have good continuity and still have a bad heater ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the cord still attached to the heater on the truck? If so, test for ohms with your multimeter. With the cord still attached to the heater, thats what I was told to do and what others online told me to do.

The other way I found out the heater wasn't working, I put a P3 Kill A Watt device between the heater cord and extension cord. That told me really quick, I was pulling zero watts and that I had a problem. P3 - Kill A Watt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep cord still attached. I set my multimeter to ohms to check continuity and that checked ok. Meaning I did not have a break in the circuit, however not sure that would tell me that the heater is working. I think the true test without having to pull the heater yet is to test with the watt meter you suggested

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The watt meter is a life savor without having to pull the heater. Now that I pulled it, it's not horrible, if you are putting a new one in ASAP. But if you pull it to test the heater, you will probably need to drain the coolant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts