Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 F350 turbo diesel truck that I use for everything from camping to home projects. This year I got a failure at the emissions station here in colorado. I have changed the oil, air filter, a IPR connector replacement and a Amazon ICP replacement. She starts fine, idles fine but runs rough like the timing is off type of thing. Will start without the ICP connected. Was running like a scalded dog before and all of a sudden rougher than a corn cobb. What the Heck. What should I do from a next steps perspective ?

·
PSN intsigator
7,146 Posts
Maybe fuel filter, what is your fuel pressure. What did/does the fuel filter look like (color wise)

The Southern President

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention I did change the fuel filter on the top of the engine behind the oil pump. She also ran with the ICP disconnected, so I may have a faulty replacement. I am changing the oil filter and oil again today myself 15-W40 for diesel trucks. when i crawled underneath to start the process found 3 other filters besides the oil filter under the truck. on on the Paseneger side right below the seat and 2 side by side on the driver side. Not quite sure what they are. Maybe back up Transmission or other fuel filters ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Should be able to follow the lines. Fuel filter, water separator, coolant filter maybe. Could get numbers off filters and check specs.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Pictures speak a thousand words.

It sounds like you have owned it for a while, did you purchase it new or used?

Remote oil filters and or fuel filters?

When did it start running rough? Before you took it in for emissions or afterwards?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I did buy it used from my buddy who owns a dealership in Colo Springs 30years now. Hes great to do business with. The filters are secondary filters for Oil (AMS bypass filters ) and other side is BT839 Hydrolic filter .... I guess for filter for Transmission. I will change them all. Started to run rough after the Emissions and a oil change, which I thought was very poorly done. Reason I just did it myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is running better now after I changed the oil, but not 100% like it was. Feels like somewhere in the 70% range

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you check for any DTC's? That would be the first place to start. Fix any of those problems first. As for oil changes on that engine, there is another step that I learned about that really helps. Ever notice that after you put in all of that beautiful oil, it is black after ten minutes? Go to Powerstrokehelp.com and look up oil service procedure for the 7.3L. There is about three quarts of dirty nasty oil stuck in the HPOP. That good ole boy shows you how to get it out DURING your oil change. He also adds some conditioner which cleans up the oil side of the injectors. I did this the last two times except I used a 1/2 dose of Archoil in the oil that I put in the HPOP (after final purge) and the balance of the Archoil into the engine oil. I could hear the difference within minutes. You need to drive it a few hundred miles for it to work in. I also use Synthetic Amsoil in my truck. Your injectors may be suffering from stiction. You can read about that at Archoil.com. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts