Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a Fluidampr??

I was dead against running a Fluidampr with stock LPOP gears, but now that I will have billet gears, is there any reason that I shouldn't, or couldn't go with it now? (Not really worried about breaking the gears now.)

The stock dampner has 210,000 kms on it. (mmm, about 133,000 miles) I think some people were saying that they should be replaced after "x" amount of mileage...:confused:

The entire rotating assembly was balanced when it was rebuilt, but I am going with lower compression pistions, and they need valve reliefs machined in, so the rotating assembly will need to be re-balanced.

Any thoughts? (Besides pulling the plug on the 6.0L, and go with a Cummins swap.):D

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You seriously paid that much for their billet LPOP gear :doh: I just had mine cryo'd and have absolutely concerns especially after what Garrett told me when I asked about the billet gears :shrug: I just threw a new stock balance up on mine but then mine were balanced with it and with the pistons already fly-cut. I would have the rotating assembly rebalanced if it was me- I'd prefer not to use bandaids when it can be fixed right because going cheap will always eventually catch up with you ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think the question will be are you going to be running it at higher RPM's very often. Cause like stated in one of the other posts. It was the higher RPM's that were killing the LPOP gears. I personally would just buy a new stocker and get everything balanced to it. The stocker works fine from what I have seen and with spending that much money on building an engine why not go with what works? That is just my .02 on it.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
i don't have elites gears, my motor was balanced once apond a time, i broke stock gears with the fluid dampner, put the stock back on and didn't have any more problems, the motor does run smooth with the fluid dampner, try in, the only that'll happen is a broken gear. it'll be interesting to see

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you think that the Fluidampr will break the Elite gears then?
I already have the gears sitting on the bench...but I think I'm gonna just buy a new stock balancer for now.
-Looked at the weight of the Fludampr...can't see how a 20-29 lbs rotating mass will want to slow down very good on a gear change at 4000-5000 rpm.

·
Registered
675 Posts
ATI sales a damper it is an elastomer damper just like the stock one you may wanna check that out. there was a thread on comp diesel about this and it seems elastomer is alot better for drag racing and daily driving and the fluid damper works great for sled pulling where there is no shifting. one guy said that most crank manufactures in the gas world will void warranty if you use a fluid damper because it can crack the crank

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Ivan, i never noticed, but does the fluid dampner have a place to bolt up the second pulley for the dual alt setup. you might be limited to the stock one
It does have a place. The reason they ever made a secondary pulley that bolts to the front is because I called them and sent them my secondary pulley.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
ATI has a Damper. There was one tested on my truck a year ago. I thought it would be in full production by now.
That's why I ask. Buddy from Empire called me about a year ago to ask me if I would throw some money at getting them made. I never heard back to see what was going on with them.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That's why I ask. Buddy from Empire called me about a year ago to ask me if I would throw some money at getting them made. I never heard back to see what was going on with them.
Well, they at least got one made. If there are more I don't know. I thought there would be by now. Seemed like an fine product to me. I just don't understand the whole want to change the damper. Stock seems to work just fine to me.

·
Diesel Enthusiast
392 Posts
a Fluidampr??
The stock dampner has 210,000 kms on it. (mmm, about 133,000 miles) I think some people were saying that they should be replaced after "x" amount of mileage...:confused:
Is this a true statement? I have 159k miles and I am about to replace the gasket for the front engine cover. Should I also replace the dampner?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts