Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day my 2004 6.0l went down hard...but this post has nothing to do with the motor trouble. I needed to push ol'girl under the carport so I could start working on the motor, my sister was standing right there so I asked her to jump in and steer. I told her that without power steering it would be very difficult to turn the wheel but to turn it really hard. So, I'm pushing and she's steering but the wheels are not straightening out as quick as I wanted so I'm yelling out stuff like "straighten them out" and "turn harder". Still nothing. So I go grab the wheel and I'm like "you gotta turn it real hard, like this!!!"...there is a loud snap and the wheel starts turning freely (oh **** not good). Anyways, the ignition switch was in the off position and the wheel lock was engaged and my dumb ass broke it by trying to man handle the situation.
I have no interest in fixing this right because that's how I do ****. I haven't taken the key out of the ignition in well over 5 years so not really worried about having that functionality but I do need to be able to start it without bumping the starter with a screwdriver, lol.
I want to wire up one of those racing style push button starters mounted on the dash...My question is what exactly needs to be wired to the toggle switch? I want all the dash lights and radio and glow plugs and fuel pump and all that good stuff to come on with the toggle switch and the the starter to be on the push button. Any advice is appreciated馃榿.

Registered
You are going to need a EVTM manual and then take a look at what is on the actual ignition switch under the dash.

All the key tumbler does is move a rod up and down to different positions in the switch under the dash on the column.

To control all of it with a toggle switch you are going to need to add some relays to handle the current.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm, how could the stock configuration handle the current but a switch couldn't? the key tumbler must run off of a lower control voltage or something...i'm no electrician, just thinking it out.

Registered
The key tumbler is not the ignition switch. The actual switch is located on the column near the dash. It is connected to the key tumbler with a short rod. When you turn the key tumbler it moves the rod which puts the actual ignition switch assembly into different positions.

There are no wires connected directly to the key tumbler.

Reactions: Jax
1 - 4 of 4 Posts