Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey- I have a backup camera on my rear license plate, but when using it at night the license plate lights blind the camera and I can't see anything. I have some rear facing led flood lights under the bumper off an aux switch and I'd like to wire something up so that when the flood lights are on the license plate lights turn off. What's the best way of going about doing that? Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,178 Posts
Add a relay would be the easiest.

You going to have to cut the power wire to your license plate lights.

Hook the power wire for the license plate to 30
Hook the license plate lights to 87a
Tap the power wire from your flood lights and hook it to 86
Then ground 85.
87 is not used
Use heat shrink on all connections. No fuses needed.

·
Administrator
8,178 Posts
Thinking about it. Swap 30 and 87a

·
Administrator
8,178 Posts
Yeah. No need to energize post 87 when the floods are on. With the power wire going into 87a and the floods turned on. Power stops at 87a.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Should probably specify that OP wants a 'normally closed' single pole relay for when he goes to buy...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assumed it would be a normally closed one I'm looking for. Does it need to be a 5 leg?

·
Administrator
8,178 Posts

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
A CR1912 is a 4 leg. All the fast food joints have them. Less internals to corrode and play havoc for making you chase a bad ground in a year or so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know this tread is old but I made a diagram with a 5 wire relay that would kill license plate lights and turn on the extra reverse lights when the truck is put in reverse. Hope this might help someone out.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts