Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a short while ago I just replaced my alternator, which I knew was part of the problem, but upon finding out, there is more. I am unsure at this point. I checked for shorts, which appears I don't have one. My batteries are both good. Had them load checked and both checked good. Could it be just a bad ground? I will do more checking tomorrow, but when I turn the ignition and let the glow plugs cycle, I crank and it just turns over slowly. I had this problem a while ago with my 96 F350 and it turned out to be my starter. Could this be a starter issue now? My alternator charges at 14.5 volts when running and I have no short in my alternator, brand new btw. It test out OK. So at the moment I am puzzled. I won't go into the past with my previous two alternators that I went thru before I got to this point. I now know it is something else. Before it was an alternator issue, but now it has turned into something else.

·
<<<<< Next Generation
1,994 Posts
Could be a starter issue. Double check all your battery connections and try to get a voltage reading while your cranking the engine. You could try the old school testing. Try tapping on the starter with a hammer then crank it over, if it speeds up your starter is going. May have to get some one to crank the egine while your tapping on the starter. Please make sure the person cranking the engine has their hands NO WHERE near the shifter and their foot on the brake pedal.

·
Banned
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a starter issue. Double check all your battery connections and try to get a voltage reading while your cranking the engine. You could try the old school testing. Try tapping on the starter with a hammer then crank it over, if it speeds up your starter is going. May have to get some one to crank the egine while your tapping on the starter. Please make sure the person cranking the engine has their hands NO WHERE near the shifter and their foot on the brake pedal.
Thanks. That is what I am thinking also.

·
Banned
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to fill you all in, my electrical problems originated from a faulty alternator. Then it went to my starter, and then finally my batteries. Now I have replaced all these items with new and I have no more starting or charging issues whatsoever. I went with Duralast Gold Batteries 850 CCA. The DC alternator works great.

My wife on the other hand was not so happy...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts