Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running them? It seems like a no brainer to me when it comes to cutting down on drag. I would be worried about it getting to warm. Just seeing if anyone has or is planning on doing it. What type of gains they have seen. That sort of thing.

·
1,097 Posts
Doubt if electric fans can pull air through three heat exchangers.

·
1,097 Posts
Ever thought of cleaning up the aero on that trailer?

That would be cheaper than fancy electro-mechanical mods.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Doubt if electric fans can pull air through three heat exchangers.
I had them on a high horsepower trailblazer pulling through two trans coolers, two air to water heat exchangers and the radiator. I was using a single fan from a C6 Corvette.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trailer is a V nose, with a slant on the V section to help down force on the back of the truck. Flex a lite has one listed for the 7.3 trucks. They claim 6% increase in mph. Not to mention 27hp... like I said claims.. I have switched out clutch fans for electric fans on other applications, but none of them as costly to repair as this if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i looked into this a year or so ago. the stock fan flows somewhere around 10,000 cfm, and i never found an aftermarket fan that would touch it. i have a 6.0L though, im not sure about the 7.3

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I have never had my stock fan kick in over the year I've owned it.....my Dad says he never knew of the fan kicking in over the 12 years he owned the truck.

·
Midwestern4x4.com
49 Posts
my buddy has dual electric fans on his. he says he only needs to turn them on when sitting in traffic or stopped otherwise driving down the road he leaves them off.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
I have them on my truck. Honestly I don't tow heavy enough to comment on their effectiveness.

They barely ever come on.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
I have never had my stock fan kick in over the year I've owned it.....my Dad says he never knew of the fan kicking in over the 12 years he owned the truck.
you should start "using" the truck then, i cant even get a mile from home pulling a trailer without the fan kicking on. right around 217* the fan should kick on!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
you should start "using" the truck then, i cant even get a mile from home pulling a trailer without the fan kicking on. right around 217* the fan should kick on!
I probably should but have nothing to pull.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I tow relatively frequently, and I only hear the fan kick on when I've been going up a long grade for a few miles... even then, pretty much only if it's 80+F.

·
That could be
240 Posts
the fans pull about as much air as the stock one does at 2200rpm so more then enuf for most of us.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have electric fans on my 7.3 set to come on at 15 mph or lower . Would come on at slow speed with AC or when stopped at rail crossings . No difference when towing heavy or getting groceries . Losing the huge engine driven fan and clutch was great . The fans took less room than the factory 2 piece shroud .

·
Registered
338 Posts
So was there a mpg increase with efans vs. OEM? Flexalite factory is located right in my area.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I put a 16" Lincoln, Mark 8 electric on mine last fall.
Engine never got above 190.
Now, in the winter, I have pulled the fuse on the fan...temp never gets above 180.
I don't see any increase in mileage, because I have my seat moved far enough forward, that I can put my foot all the way to the floor...

If you want better fuel mileage, buy a Volkswagon, and park your truck.:D JK... I'm sure it helps a little bit, and I like the fact that you can't hear any fan at all now...

·
That could be
240 Posts
so more MPG?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Prolly not enough to justify spending $500.00 on a set of dual electric fans. (Take quite a while to recoupe that money...especially if it only gets you .5 to 1mpg better.)
Also heard that you should carry a spare controller for the fans, as they have a history of crapping out...

This is why I bought the fans I did. I bought two 16" out of the Lincoln, Mark 8...supposed to be 3600+ cfm. No room to install them both, so now I have a complete spare...just in case.

·
Dead Member
204 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm with ya on using the truck. Mine kick on in the winter towing our trailer. Im thinking of going with the flex a lite set up. I can't see how it can't help mph some. I'm not saying enough to pay for itself in a year, but its less drag on the motor plus the noise.
How did you set ur fans to come on below 15mph I like this idea a lot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts