Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone im a noob so if you can help id appreciate it. i want to put electric fans on my 97 obs, but im not looking to spend over 300 buck for a set is there a lil cheaper way of going about this?

·
Registered
480 Posts
you can go to Canadian tire and get one for around 100. Reading the box it recommends 2 for 8cyl and up... I was thinking of putting 1 in and seeing what happens and then add a second if needed

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
do a search, its been tried before, and works ok unless your towing IIRC. I think most went back to the stock fan.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Welcome to PSN....

Wrecking yard twin Taurus two speed fans will work. There are a number of DIY systems guys have done over the years. Generally if you tow much stock is the way to go. Few guys have done electric clutches too such as the 6.0 clutch (I think) and others (just can't remember the clutch manufacturer name).

Do a search on here there is lots of chatter and ideas about it. Again if you tow much stock is the way to go.

What mods on your truck and what is the intended use?

jrc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome thanks i will look in to the tauras fans. the only mods i have is k&n intake system. and 3in down pipe and 6 in straight back from there. i very rarely tow.

·
Registered
345 Posts
awesome thanks i will look in to the tauras fans. the only mods i have is k&n intake system. and 3in down pipe and 6 in straight back from there. i very rarely tow.
X2 on the welcome a board.
What kind of KN intake system do you have?. Search for 6637 intake system.

ps. I liked your avatar men ! I love the colors.:evil

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
When you next service your K&N check to see if there is any light dust residue inside intake hose next the turbo. K&N make good products and I have used them on a number of vehicles ( Wife's Honda CRV and currently on Honda ATV), so not hating. Used to have a 7" Dia (round) by 9" long one on my '96 7.3 and I always had a little dust residue. Removed it put on a Donaldson paper element filter.....no dust what so ever....

just sayin to be careful and check it, also depends where you drive...

jrc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will do. will that donaldson filter go right on the k&n tube. or will i need to change the whole system?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Goes right on the tube almost like it was made for it. I have since removed the heat shield as I don't think it really does anything for it.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
The K&N tube will even work if and when you go to an intercooler.

·
Registered
345 Posts
57-2531 is the k&N kit i have. haha thanks man that the only time i will be into the rainbow.LOL
When you next service your K&N check to see if there is any light dust residue inside intake hose next the turbo. K&N make good products and I have used them on a number of vehicles ( Wife's Honda CRV and currently on Honda ATV), so not hating. Used to have a 7" Dia (round) by 9" long one on my '96 7.3 and I always had a little dust residue. Removed it put on a Donaldson paper element filter.....no dust what so ever....

just sayin to be careful and check it, also depends where you drive...

jrc
Goes right on the tube almost like it was made for it. I have since removed the heat shield as I don't think it really does anything for it.

The K&N tube will even work if and when you go to an intercooler.

Totally agree with that and them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will look into that. what partnumber is the douglas filter and where would be the best for me to find one. do they sell them at just a oriellys or autozone?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
go to NAPA and get a 6637

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My buddy's shop sells electric fans for cars. I think his price is around 60 a fan. you can get 2 larger fans or 4 smaller ones and they push comparable cfm to the stock fan but still are a little less.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
My buddy's shop sells electric fans for cars. I think his price is around 60 a fan. you can get 2 larger fans or 4 smaller ones and they push comparable cfm to the stock fan but still are a little less.
I though stock was 6-8000 cfm pending full clutch lock up? Need to have pretty sout fans to top that.

jrc

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I though stock was 6-8000 cfm pending full clutch lock up? Need to have pretty sout fans to top that.

jrc
If I remember correctly the fans I got on mine push 6500cfm and the lowest for the PSD pushed 6800 and the newer ones push a little more. I didnt say it topped it its just close if you choose to go that route. I do not tow a whole lot so im good with my setup

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
If I remember correctly the fans I got on mine push 6500cfm and the lowest for the PSD pushed 6800 and the newer ones push a little more. I didnt say it topped it its just close if you choose to go that route. I do not tow a whole lot so im good with my setup
That's awesome....my Ford Taurus fans where around 2500 per fan iirc (on highest speed) which was ok for non tow rig, (had them on 96). Current e fans came with sig truck and not sure what PO used, don't think they'll be enough though.

What make are yours and specs as I am chewing on different options like back to stock, higher volume e fans or e clutch with stock or 6.0 fan.

I stand corected as I thought highest e's you could get that would fit was in the 2500 cfm.

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got a 3.8 taurus fan I'm about to put in. If I just put battery voltage to it and run a relay and a switch in the dash, will it be in high speed or low speed?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That's awesome....my Ford Taurus fans where around 2500 per fan iirc (on highest speed) which was ok for non tow rig, (had them on 96). Current e fans came with sig truck and not sure what PO used, don't think they'll be enough though.

What make are yours and specs as I am chewing on different options like back to stock, higher volume e fans or e clutch with stock or 6.0 fan.

I stand corected as I thought highest e's you could get that would fit was in the 2500 cfm.

Thanks
Let me look it up to double check all of this. I was just going off memory

1 - 20 of 27 Posts