Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Media Mushroom Stamp
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at swapping off the old fan and clutch, and replacing this with an electric unit. I picked up 2 MPG when I did this on my 87 K5. Has anyone done this with a 6.0? Experiences?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeah, i've been running flex-a-lite electric fans on my truck for over a year so far and they been awesome. Here's some pics. Opened up tons of room. I really hardly doubt you're gonna see any milage increase with them. I just did it to free up some more room.

Attachments

·
Maroon truck guy
427 Posts
got the 7.3 kit. It doesnt bolt right up but its pretty simple fix. Wouldnt really recommended it if your towing alot.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
my kit is the 7.3 one also. Just had to modify the inline trans filter bracket and modify the mounting brackets was all. I know of some guys running them and tow tons with them with no issues.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Do you tow? I know the factory fan moves alot of air when engaged. As far a a mileage gain I really doubt it . I've only heard my fan engage a handfull of times.

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
they did a write up on Electric fans a while ago ( like the two in this thread) for a 7.3 and they stated it was for towing ?? I would be a little nervous to try it myself specially heavy tow up a steep grade

and it also seems like a stock alternator is already taxed on these trucks/

EDIT however looking at the flex lite site it doesn't have that "towing" disclaimer for the 7.3 but they don't make a kit for the 6.0 for a reason I guess?

98-03 Ford Super Duty Diesel Electric Fan

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you tow alot...i'd just leave the stocker on. But you can control when the fans come on and manually turn them on or turn them off. Shawn towed Tylers truck to the diesel power challange a few years back from alberta canada to colorado and had no issues towing it(around 12-14K lbs i believe) in the high heat. I'm not sure how the terrain is from alberta to colorado, but i'm sure it's not that flat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i checked on the fans for the 6.0 before they said there wasnt a way to remove the stock fan assembly

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
well that's obviously wrong cause myself and alot of others have removed the stock fan assembly, as you can see by the pics i've posted...not that hard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yeah thats what i couldnt figure out because i asked after i saw pics of it removed. dont know what there problem is, lazy!?

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
it should throw a code ???????????? the ECM can tell when the fan doesn't meet the sent commands

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
there will be a soft code stored and no CEL, but thats it...no big deal.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
not sure how much the flex-a-lite fans cost. I bought mine from a buddy of mine that was doing a 12v cummins swap and the fans didn't fit...so i bought them dirt cheap off of him. But i think they are almost $600

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
not that i've noticed. My A/C is still very cold. Just gotta make sure that the fans are on when traveling at low speeds and when going through alot of stop and go traffic to keep air moving across the A/C condenser and to keep the pressures of the A/C down when it's hot out and the A/C is on.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Could try using a relay tied to the A/C compressor clutch so the fans will come on whenever the A/C is running.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
there is a wire that they say should be run to the high pressure switch, but according to lubeowner it wouldn't work the way it should when the A/C is turned on. So i never hooked that wire up and neither did Shawn or Tyler. My fans are already running when ECT is at 180*. But the directions for the A/C hook up an installation is for the 7.3 powerstroke.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts