Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 2002 excursion and will be pulling a TT for the first time this spring(27' 6k). I just want to be on top of things when it comes to temps. If trans temps get too high I will have to do a cooler mod. If Egt's get up there I can dump the stock exhaust and go with a 4". I am looking for some general info on how hot is too hot and what is okay for how long? Example: if pulling for over a half mile up a grade and the egt's get up to 1250 should I get out of it or is 1250 okay for a half mile? What should I expect on a dead start to highway speed? I'm looking for some temps to guage things by before I do any mods. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
1200 sustainable on EGT's. Can handle spurts of ~1250

200 is gettin warm on the tranny. 220 pull over and let it cool. Tranny should run ~70-~80 over ambient air temps.

I reccomend the DIY intake and at least cut the muffler out before u start towing. With that said there's plenty of old folks hauling tt around with no idea of what an intake is just fine

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Personally I'd do a tymar intake or DIY intake, whatever you want to call it. And if you ever plan on future modifications like an exhaust, at least gut the one you've got and get rid of the muffler and kitty. These trucks love to breathe freely.

As far as temperatures go, depending on your climate you could be anywhere from 600* - 900* on level ground. At least that's what I usually see depending on the load of course. When your pulling a grade, personally I like to keep it at or below 1200*. I don't like the idea of holding any temp. higher than that for more than a second.

Fill in your signature, and :welcome:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My EOT runs between 190º-210º depending on the outside temp and if I'm driving easy or hard.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Here in the desert while pulling my 12K+ toyhauler I run 1200-1300 for extended times. My probe is in the drivers side manifold. While passing and for short periods I have seen 1400 without any problems. I've been doing this for 6+ yrs.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
I don't know anything about EX's. I know there are some differences but i don't know how much. But if im wrong someone here will correct me.

You may also want to look into a ported compressor housing or wicked wheel. Surge will kill the turbo and it happens a lot more often when towing.

As for your basic mods... Here's what i'd do.
Tymar or a 6637 air filter from Napa.
A 4-6 position chip from a site sponsor. It will help with power and fuel economy.
IMHO a 4" turbo back exhaust is a must.

That all should run roughly 600-800 bucks and will be well worth it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. sig--updated

·
143 Posts
With intake and chip you will see pretty high temps. Could even see surge.

When I chipped, with intake and exhaust the surge was bad. Ported housing
cured that fast... If you hear it, you will need to back off or chance
loosing the turbo.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
A JW or BTS valve body would be a great investment for towing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
400 mi round trip with temps in the 70-80's this weekend....
egt stayed at around 1050 with jumps to 1150-1200 on grades.
trans temp climbed to 215-220 at times.
eot stayed around 220.

Not sure what surge sounds like but if it sounds like the radiator fan kicking on but louder for a few minutes at a time this is what I heard. If anyone can chime in on where to get 3.5" pipe to do a muffler delete and let me know if things sound normal or otherwise I would appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Ditch the edge and get custom tunes. And as said before these things like to breathe. Intake, ex, and guages plus a vb are a must. I live in southern Az and have to live with extreem temps. What you guys in the midwest call hot are normal for us. Check my sig. Stock small turbo with stock wicked wheel plus the other mods. Where I go camping there is a 9 mile 6% and with a 13K# toyhauler I ran 1300-1350 the entire hill @ about 60-65 mph in my 40T tune. I have done this since I have had the truck 6+ yrs. No ill effects yet. Tranny never sees over 210. Here in the summer 8-900 egt is normal cruising empty on the frwy. Don't be scared. These things are tougher than you think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the latest tranny cooler and 4" exhaust upgrade I took the same 400 mi trip with the TT. Tranny temps stayed below 170 and was able to maintain just under 1000 on egt temps at 65-70 mph. The eot stayed at about 215-220 with the fan kicking on when it hit 223. So are eot ok??? Seems like everything seems pretty normal with the mods, just a little concerned with higher eot's. Can anyone share what is acceptable eot's over long driving times?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Are you running syn oil? I don't but they claim it will handle higher temps. Everything else I would love to have. I have recently installed a trucool stacked with the fact one that does not pass through the rad. Last trip up north while pulling a 6% with temps around 100* the trans never reached 180*. I also added a spin on trans filter.

·
Slacker
537 Posts
Yeah, and made that chevy work to pass you up that hill... :D

Those are normal EOT's, although custom tuning would likely improve your injection timing and reduce your temps a bit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the responses. next plan is to have bill at php tune the evo2. I just can't do without it pulling the TT this summer(gauge monitor) so it will have to wait till the fall.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yeah, and made that chevy work to pass you up that hill... :D

Those are normal EOT's, although custom tuning would likely improve your injection timing and reduce your temps a bit.
What Chevy???? I didn't see no Chevy. Don't listen to Shawn he harrassed me for 160 miles up the mtns with my old beater.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Since the oil sprays the bottom of the pistons to keep them cool, as you run a long grade at higher fueling levels (i.e., higher EGTs) you will see oil temps rise. I run synthetic Rotella, and I routinely see 230° on grades, so far no ill effects.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I run regular rotella so I think i need to find out the acceptable range for this. Sounds like I have little to worry about...... maybe blackstone will tell me how the oil did with all the pulling this sumer.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I just hauled a GCVW of 24,200 lbs up from California, over the mountain passes on a 100° day. It hit the highest temps I have seen so far, 245° oil temp, 210° trans, 240° engine coolant. I kept the EGTs at 1250° for miles at a time (which I have done many times). The oil was fresh before the trip, will let it run a few more miles then get a lab report on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would be inteested in hearing how the oil held up. Those are much higher temps than I feel comfortable with but I guess thats why i'm asking. I may be worried about nothing but I just want to get the most out of the vehicle. Do you run reg or synthetic. Either way, if you think of it post your lab results here when you get a chance.
thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts