Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 1.15 housing on the 38r help my EGT issues or is it in tuning or do I need water/meth. From reading a lot, sounds like with my mods, I don't need water/meth just yet. May just be tuning but when towing 12k this summer, I really had to watch the pyro.

I have about 8k on the rebuild now.

The truck runs awesome but I can hit 1400 in the 60tow setting empty on a WOT run very quickly. I can hit 1600 in the 80 economy setting very fast as well. Makes it hard to have too much fun.

Any ideas?

·
F250 Black Cloud Edition
690 Posts
238s on a 38r is gonna be high egts. Unless your tuner pulls them back.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
i have the same problem plus its Smokey

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I think the bigger housing and some tuning tweaks ought to put you back in the green. A good tow tune will keep you from getting past 1250-1300 on a hard pull. If you don't go with the bigger housing, just some tuning tweaks should fix it. The bigger housing will just help you get more power out of it before getting to hot.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
238s on a 38r is gonna be high egts. Unless your tuner pulls them back.
Would have been nice to know when I was putting this all together. All I heard was 238' and 38r is a good combo.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Cooling mist then get tunes adjusted.

Call up di and tell dave to get back to work on the drop in 40 (42).

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, time to call DP.

Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
i am interested just now putting a engine together will be running the same setup
238/100 and a 38r havent reburned yet also a dp thanks

·
super tuner
164 Posts
Would have been nice to know when I was putting this all together. All I heard was 238' and 38r is a good combo.
members have had this problem on here before, one guy recently posted a thread explaining how he spent 20 G's on his engine that members on here basically built for him over the keyboard, and hes not satisfied the least bit with it. i know this doesn't help your problem at all but I'm just saying its up to the person who owns the truck to decide the build, not the person on the other side of the monitor. as far as your problem goes, if you informed your tuner of your injector size and driving style then they should have pulled you're sticks back a bit to avoid the exact problem your having.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Check for some exhaust leaks. What is your hpop pushing? Call Jody and ask him if he set up tunes for a 38r. Your injectors will work great with a 38r if you are not having another issue that is happening. That is a great combo and I have seen it work well with good tuning.(Even on pmrs)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Look at my sig... I have never seen that hot and i have bigger injectors. All in the tune.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am interested just now putting a engine together will be running the same setup
238/100 and a 38r havent reburned yet also a dp thanks
Diane pm'd me that Jody doesn't reccomend the 38r with 238's so you may want to give them a call if your going with dp tunes and see what to do.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
members have had this problem on here before, one guy recently posted a thread explaining how he spent 20 G's on his engine that members on here basically built for him over the keyboard, and hes not satisfied the least bit with it. i know this doesn't help your problem at all but I'm just saying its up to the person who owns the truck to decide the build, not the person on the other side of the monitor. as far as your problem goes, if you informed your tuner of your injector size and driving style then they should have pulled you're sticks back a bit to avoid the exact problem your having.
Exactly, I believe its called a reburn order form. As a matter of fact, I bought the 238's through them.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
It is a good combo... And I tow heavy. PMR's still in the motor and everything.

Been going on 2 years with 238's/38r and I have no regrets. Its all in the Tunes!

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK< I apologize to DP for any comments I have made previously. I don't want to burn any bridges here, just get it right.

Sounds like my chip wasn't defueled for the 38r. Having the 238's in will allow me to go to a bigger turbo eventually. Not something I can afford to do just yet but that is why I bought them.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in about 238's and 38r being a good combo.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
It is a good combo... And I tow heavy. PMR's still in the motor and everything.

Been going on 2 years with 238's/38r and I have no regrets. Its all in the Tunes!
That's cause Matt has this set ups tuning mastered.

·
Registered
417 Posts
tuning is where its at no egt problems at all i can tow whatever i want without ever turning my chip down

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
That's cause Matt has this set ups tuning mastered.
^^

66mm turbo spinning the opposite direction than a 38r and 80% nozzles and my egt's are retarded low <1000* in my tow setting. You dont lug it in OD up hills anyway. Just to see, i did a WOT run from 50-100 in my "tow setting" with no water, egt's barely got to 950. BTW smoke free in my race setting too. Time for a reburn, or something.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
238, 38r is an old common combo,
Jody knows them well, maybe he was
Talking bout bigger nozzles, maybe not.
But id build or buy a boost leak detector.
Rule leaks out first.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts