Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to dump a bunch of money into the 97 7.3 and I have a couple questions.

I’ll be doing cold air intake (tymar)
4” turbo back no muffler
6 position chip
Wicked compressor wheel
EBV delete
And intercooler with full set of gauges

Question 1: is it best to install pyro on the exhaust manifold or after the turbo? And why?

Question 2: I’ve read 1200 degrees sustained and short bursts as high as 1400 degrees, is the danger regarding piston temperature and thus piston to cylinder clearance? Or is it a concern for the turbo or both? And will the intercooler pretty much solve most of this issue?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
L
Going to dump a bunch of money into the 97 7.3 and I have a couple questions.

I’ll be doing cold air intake (tymar)
4” turbo back no muffler
No 4” DPs made for OBS trucks and not worth the hassle, 3” is all there is.
6 position chip
Wicked compressor wheel
EBV delete
And intercooler with full set of gauges

Question 1: is it best to install pyro on the exhaust manifold or after the turbo? And why? In exhaust manifold (drivers side at the rear). Shows heat pre turbo, which is better indication of EGTs, post turbo heat differential can be as much as 400 degrees cooler.

Question 2: I’ve read 1200 degrees sustained and short bursts as high as 1400 degrees, is the danger regarding piston temperature and thus piston to cylinder clearance? Or is it a concern for the turbo or both? And will the intercooler pretty much solve most of this issue?
Intercooler creates more dense air charge which can lower EGTs by 100-150 degrees pending program files. Intercooler will not solve problems as much as right foot inputs and program files (tunes).

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
JCart nailed it, but to answer your last question, the 1200-1250* max temp is because your pistons are made of aluminum, and aluminum begins to melt at 1250*. Albeit it will take hours to melt at 1250*, it gets exponentially faster as temp goes up, which is why 1400* is short bursts is okay, and even drag racers get away with upwards of 2000* in very short bursts (less than 5 seconds or so).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts