Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine went to a FORD diesel seminar at a local dealership. The ford rep told him why his freshly studded and deleted 6.0 just blew the headgaskets. He said that the EGR system acts as a wastegate. He said since you deleted the system the motor experienced an over boost event that pressurized the motor and blew his headgaskets. thoughts?

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
What would an "over boost" condition be defined as for a studded truck? How much boost can they take? I mean with guys out there running twin turbo kits and blowing more than 50psi of boost and ARE deleted and havent blown any head gaskets, I would submit to you that the ford dealer is trying to blow smoke up your butt. I guess I am trying to say that I wouldnt think a stock turbo could blow that much boost in. JMO.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
A good friend of mine went to a FORD diesel seminar at a local dealership. The ford rep told him why his freshly studded and deleted 6.0 just blew the headgaskets. He said that the EGR system acts as a wastegate. He said since you deleted the system the motor experienced an over boost event that pressurized the motor and blew his headgaskets. thoughts?
im guessin the ford rep responded without even physically looking at the truck in question....and just guessed that that's what caused the gaskets to blow. It could've been a number of things that made them blow, but seems like he just made an assumtion without nowing the facts of what really happened. For instense, did the rep check the heads and block for flatness? Did he see if the oil cooler was plugged? I'm guessin he didn't.

·
Registered
646 Posts
That there ford rep maybe needs too look back at that there work order and pull his head out of said ass. LOL my god! The things ford reps say sometimes without even having a clue, the problem is that the 6.0l is a complex engine for the general public and ford knows that very few people understand them, thats why they bs about them all the time and make bull#### claims. They figure no one will call it.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I laughed when he told me this story. Then I shook my head. Just like I did when I heard they weren't going to send his heads to a machine shop while he was having all this work done. I thought that you didn't really need a wastegate on these trucks until you started spraying?

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
well the egr system takes some of the drive pressure away so with it beng in place it technically performs similar duties but its not at all a real waste gate.

Its so surprising that these people most rely on to fix their vehicles live under a rock :doh:

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also think the fundamentals of the business has changed. No longer are factory service reps retired wrenches. Most are kids with a degree and computer skills that don't know the mechanical / technical side of thier product.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I also think the fundamentals of the business has changed. No longer are factory service reps retired wrenches. Most are kids with a degree and computer skills that don't know the mechanical / technical side of thier product.
Yea exactly, they have not the slightest clue as to what they are doing, they follow the instructions and just that, no extra what if's are taken care of anymore. If you have limited knowledge/experience you don't know what else needs to be addressed because the book they are reading doesn't have any "real time experience" schenarios because it was wrote when theses trucks were brand new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts