Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i took out my EGR valve today to install the blockoff plate, put the screws back in the valve opening, began to tighten them, and the left one won't hold any torque? I pulled it out, and it had metal around the bolt... CRAP! Did I ruin my intake manifold? It holds hand tightening, but nothing more! What should I do????

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
I would tap it. Put another bolt in it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
:whs:

Chase the threads, IMO just leave the valve in place. If you removed the Cooler it serves the same purpose as a block off plate.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I go about tapping it? And would I have to put a different bolt in? I don't have the greatest selection of tools, and im pretty unexperienced.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chase the thread???

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
find out what size the bolt is and what thread pitch then find the same thread pitch tap and bolt but go up a size. Like if its a 5/16 go up to a 3/8.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do I find out the size and thread pitch? And how exactly do you "tap"?

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
i would take it to ace/home depoy/lowes and use a scale and it will tell you the thread pitch and diameter. Take a t handle and a tap and just thread it in like a bolt, use some oil to catch the filings and to make it easier to tap. Its really easy all you need is a tap,tap handle and a new bolt $30 maybe.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any place that can do this for me? I'm seriously lost...

·
Registered
60 Posts
whats the point of getting someone to do it for you its pretty easy.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because I don't wanna mess it up even worse. I mean you probably think removing the EGR valve is easy too, but guess what? I messed it up lol

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
There's some taps and info, notice the t on the right hand side third picture IIRC:

Tap and die - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like ace sells the tap and bit as a combo:

Vermont American 21666 Tap/Drill Combo Set 1/4-20

Just take it to ace and ask for that or a hardware store. Home depot and Lowes don't carry a lot of taps, so your best bet might be Napa or Oreilly. If your that nervous you could probably talk someone at NAPA or Oreilly to do it for you. It doesn't take long. You'll re-drill the hole with the bit they give you. Then run the tap through by hand or with a t (just "screw" it in there very carefully and evenly...take your time if you've never done it before. back it out by turning it CCW every once in awhile to wipe of the metal shards from the new threads, I usually use a pair of dog ears to do this, pliers, a T as in the video, even better if you can get a socket to hook up to it (the tap) etc.). As you "screw" it in there it will create new threads in that hole for the new bolt to grab to. I'm not sure if the intake manifold is aluminum (the thing the block off plate screws into), if it is, its a soft metal so it won't take a ton of pressure to put threads into it. Then put the new bolt in. Then pat yourself on the back, you fixed your problem.

Edit: Online walk through
How to Use a Tap - wikiHow

Video
(fast forward to 2:40) and thats not me in the video lol, also don't run the tap all the way through. Just to where it breaks in other side of the intake manifold a little bit.

Don't be intimidated. Its all nuts and bolts.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would tapping it void my warranty?

P.S. I drove it all day yesterday with the left side of the blockoff plate only hand tightened, but the right side is completely tightened. Do you think it is okay? I mean, the way that EGR valve sealed, I could hardly yank it out. (took me two hours LOL) So do you think it is fine?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Personally, I would use a helicoil. If you can use a drill, you can install a helicoil. It will be stronger than it was to begin with, and use the same size bolt.

Instructions:
RoadStarMagazine.com - How to use a Helicoil

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Would tapping it void my warranty?

P.S. I drove it all day yesterday with the left side of the blockoff plate only hand tightened, but the right side is completely tightened. Do you think it is okay? I mean, the way that EGR valve sealed, I could hardly yank it out. (took me two hours ) So do you think it is fine?
Chances are, if your tech ever gets fired from the Ford stealership you went to, your warranty will get voided just from your EGR delete.

It will probably be fine, but your talking about a $40,000 truck. Sort of like washing a truck without soap, will it work? Yeah, it is the right way? No.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts