Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine with an 05 250 said that i should unplug my egr sensor, that it would stay closed all the time . Is that something worth doing? does it make any difference at all , is there any benifit ? I have an 07 350 if that makes any difference. Thanks guys. I should say , I have 42k on the truck and have had 0 problems. Im currently running 5w 40 amsoil ,and the truck is bone stock. Thanks again

·
it's an 02 05 08
930 Posts
only thing its gonna do for you is throw the cel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was kinda my thoughts, he said his 05 didnt throw any codes, but I just couldnt figure out what it was gonna do for me

·
Registered
41 Posts
I unplugged mine last week since it started giving me problems. Unplugging it causes the CEL to illuminate . I plan on tack welding it shut and plugging it back in so I can reset my CEL with my SG2. I understand tho that it will throw a low egr flow code once in awhile.

My truck runs absolutely perfect with the EGR unplugged. I would definitely recommend pulling it out and cleaning it and make sure it's in the closed position when you reinstall it.

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
get an SCT programmer and the canned or custom tunes will stop the EGR valve from cycling and block all those CEL codes

also if you decide to just unplug it be mindful of your temps some have had the fan not work properly and have had to plug an EGR valve in and ziptie it to the firewall

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would just delete the cooler and the valve. For an 07 you'd still need an sct to turn the cel off....but you won't have to worry about the egr cooler ever leaking.
Just my .02

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
With the newest PCM strategy you have to have the EGR plugged in. If not it does some crazy stuff

·
Registered
41 Posts
get an SCT programmer and the canned or custom tunes will stop the EGR valve from cycling and block all those CEL codes

also if you decide to just unplug it be mindful of your temps some have had the fan not work properly and have had to plug an EGR valve in and ziptie it to the firewall
Thanks. Actually my EOT seems to be running a few degrees cooler with the EGR unplugged. I don't tow anything so not worried about the fan. Mine is just a "grocery getter" LOL. But I buy a lot of groceries.

The truck spools up real good too. Seems like no lag whatsoever. Should have unplugged that dayum thing long time ago.

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
I notice no difference other than a cleaner intake
I have to retain mine for a once a year visual

·
Registered
96 Posts
my EGR started acting up a week or so ago so i just unpluged it and i never got a CEL but what i am noticing is longer crank times and lower MPG and im in boost ALL the time. i was told the reason im always in boost is bc by unpluging the EGR u lose the functionalty if the VGT and the the turbo remains in the smallest position. Other than that she runs good

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
Ya know home many folks on here have it unplugged with no boost issues ? all but you ?
if someting was"acting up" and your fix was to unplug it?

I would wonder if it's stuck open ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ya know home many folks on here have it unplugged with no boost issues ? all but you ?
if someting was"acting up" and your fix was to unplug it?

I would wonder if it's stuck open ?
It was stuck open, so i cleaned it and insted of sticking open once in a while it seemed like it was sticking every few min. so i listened for the motor to get louder at idle and unpluged it. at that time it stopped the problem i was having (blowing blue smoke and not being able to even move the truck).
now the truck runs fine (except for the eariler explained issues)

·
Registered
474 Posts
so it still "has" problems. lol

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
if it were Me I would tac weld the valve shut or put a plug in it

and a open turbo vane situation will code so IDK about that being the actual cause of your problm ?
but the egr is something to look at
if nothing else pull it clean it and see if the valve is hard but possible to open with your fingers

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Fan clutch control does not work properly with some engines if the EGR valve is not plugged in, proven fact. I had a spool in place of my EGR valve and the actual valve bolted to my air intake elbow. If you weld it shut I would think you would get a code when the valve is expected to be open and it isn't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts