Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chummin Along!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, new to the 6.0 world. Have a few 7.3's but was offered an 03 Lariat CCSB for next to nothing because it "has" a blown head gasket. Well the original owner never told me who diagnosed it, so I started searching around and seems like it could be the EGR.

Symptoms, coolant disappearing from coolant bottle, it surges on cold mornings for the few miles. By surging, I mean you can feel it, but its not like its falling flat on its face. After it warms up it basically goes away. The truck warms up, however the heat works intermittently, like it will be warm for 5 mins then go cold for a few then back to hot? Also, I read that when the EGR goes bad, it tends to smoke from the exhaust. Its been mid teens-20's for the past 2 weeks so it smokes when it starts anyway, but after a quick warm up it clears up.

So, here are a couple pictures from the EGR, and down in the intake. On one of the websites I saw that it says it will be gooey or steam cleaned. Well obviously not steam cleaned, but I am not sure how "gooey" it is either. Its def, not just dry soot, and when I scraped some off the intake it is "wet" and sticky on my fingers. So I am assuming the EGR is the problem. Can anyone confirm this before I order up $400 worth of EGR deleteness that I may not need!

Thanks,
-Matt

·
PA 6.0 PS
185 Posts
Def looks like EGR is issue. Get EGR Delete either way. You gotta have, if it is not the problem now, it will be an issue. Also, check the FICM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Replace the oil cooler while you're in there. Its probably what took out the EGR in the first place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've cleaned my EGR valve twice in the last 6 months. 1st time it was coked up with a black chalk-like residue.

2nd time (yesterday) same residue but with some gooey stuff like in the picture above. Not a lot, just enough to get on the fingers.

My question: What causes this ? Something happening ? Or something about to happen ?

Thanks,
D P.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
:whs: Definitely do the cooler when you do the delete. A replacement oil cooler core is $300 at any dealership. Let me know if you need any help sourcing the parts or tech support installing it, even if you don't buy from toxic. BTW 85yota350, nice sig. I feel for ya on that turbo.

·
Chummin Along!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks for the info guys. Figured that's what it was but wanted to double check!

Thanks,
-Mat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts