Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving from Charleston, SC to St. Louis, MO last weekend and my 03 6.0liter would start running erradically when i would get up to about 2500rpms in overdrive. By erradically i mean it would sputter to the point that it felt like the engine was missing or a cylinder wouldn't fire. every time it would do this there would be a large puff of black smoke come out of my exhaust pipes. My check engine light was on and i know that part of the reason the light would be on is because my ICP sensor is sending a code to the light. Also my fuel milage was at about 5-7 mpgs. I called the local stealership in Charleston and told them about the issue. They told me that the "egr is clogged and i should floor it and blow the soot out of the egr and it should be fine".
So when i got back to Charleston I took my truck to a reputable diesel mechanic and left it with him. He notified me yesterday that the EGR valve is clogged with water from the engine, he found oil in my coolant reservoir, said my oil cooler was leaking (which is causing the oil in my coolant tank), and that i need a new egr cooler kit, oil cooler kit, icp sensor, engine oil change, engine coolant flush and change, and fuel filter change.

Does this sound right?

This job is estimated at $ 3,400.00 Any insight would be greatly appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
What the shop told you sounds very possible to what could be wrong. You should replace the oil cooler and delete the EGR system. As far as pricing I am not sure how much this job usually runs...

I

·
0 Posts
So i was driving from Charleston, SC to St. Louis, MO last weekend and my 03 6.0liter would start running erradically when i would get up to about 2500rpms in overdrive. By erradically i mean it would sputter to the point that it felt like the engine was missing or a cylinder wouldn't fire. every time it would do this there would be a large puff of black smoke come out of my exhaust pipes. My check engine light was on and i know that part of the reason the light would be on is because my ICP sensor is sending a code to the light. Also my fuel milage was at about 5-7 mpgs. I called the local stealership in Charleston and told them about the issue. They told me that the "egr is clogged and i should floor it and blow the soot out of the egr and it should be fine".
So when i got back to Charleston I took my truck to a reputable diesel mechanic and left it with him. He notified me yesterday that the EGR valve is clogged with water from the engine, he found oil in my coolant reservoir, said my oil cooler was leaking (which is causing the oil in my coolant tank), and that i need a new egr cooler kit, oil cooler kit, icp sensor, engine oil change, engine coolant flush and change, and fuel filter change.

Does this sound right?

This job is estimated at $ 3,400.00 Any insight would be greatly appreciated

thanks
YIKES!!!! Sorry to hear. Sounds very possible. The price I'm not sure of..

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is that price for parts as well i would hope so. I did my egr delete my self not very hard to do if you have all the tools. On the oil cooler I'm not shore you should start a new post or move this one to the 6.0 section or give somebody like PSDPlayer a pm very good with the 6.0 he would be able to help more then me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts