Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have deleted my egr, and I was expecting it to throw a code and thats fine until I can get a tuner, but my question is how badly is this effecting my fuel mileage. the truck is running smother I am just getting ready for a road trip and am wondering how much not having the truck tuned for no egr is.

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
probably not at all

but with your cel illuminated you won't know if another issue pops up

grab an SCT before you go even the canned tunes will block the EGR code

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I think I got it right now I wasn't sure how to do the sig thing befor. Yea the big thing I was wondering was if the canned tunes would work for the egr code. I have been told diff things about that

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so just to be sure I don't need to get custom tunes made in order to shut the light off. If I get an sct/sf3 that comes with the 3 "generic" tunes it will work?

·
Registered
96 Posts
from my understanding the egr valve controls the vgt actuator on the turbo. so when u delete the egr valve it needs to remain pluged in or the turbo will keep itself in the smallest position. thats what i was told, not sure if theres any truth to that tho

·
Registered
474 Posts
wiltface, the egr being unplugged doe snotheing for the turbo.

OP, I bought the SCT tuner with 3 canned tunes and 3 free custom tunes from MKM industry's and have never used it. I have the egr plugged in and on the truck just no actual egr. (hope that makes sense) Just dont use the block off plate and put the plug back in then you shouldnt have a CEL. Or at least I didnt on my 2006.

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
That would be an isolated experience if it were even correct

the new SCT canned tunes have an EGR on off program (for now )

the only affect anyone has reported with an unplugged EGR valve is some flashes will cause cooling fan duty cycle issues and can be remedied by plugging the valve in ,, even if it's not in the engine

·
Registered
96 Posts
That would be an isolated experience if it were even correct

the new SCT canned tunes have an EGR on off program (for now )

the only affect anyone has reported with an unplugged EGR valve is some flashes will cause cooling fan duty cycle issues and can be remedied by plugging the valve in ,, even if it's not in the engine
well i disconected my EGR about a week ago bc it was messing up and since then iv noticed a loss in fuel milage and power and im always in boost (even when im tryin to hold it at 45mph on level ground)

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Fan clutch control does not work properly if the EGR valve is not plugged in, proven fact. I had a spool in place of the EGR valve with the actual valve bolted to my air intake elbow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I left the valve in place and plugged in. After I deleted the rest of it I had no code for a day or two then the engine light came on after that day or two. So I went and checked the code and it said " egr insuficiant flow". I was told it was hit or miss if it would throw a code. I just want to make sure its not decreasing my fuel mileage. but if it is I will get a tunner ASAP.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
I found it gave me a slight mileage improvement when I got rid of the EGR while doing highway driving.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but did you get that improvment with or without a tunner?

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Without

·
Registered
368 Posts
make sure you get a delete with the new pass up pipe.theres a scoop in there that blocks a ton a flow to the turbo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok thats what I need to know thanks everyone for your help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts