Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have my oil cooler done next week. Also gonna replace the EGR cooler, but since I am subject to smog inspections I am afraid of doing the delete. I am considering welding the factory cooler while it is out.

Any cons to doing this type of delete? Or should I just go with the Sinister or BPD EGR cooler?

·
Faster Than You
933 Posts
I would just weld it up for visual. The emissions test there isn't based off of a smog, its visual opacity of the exhaust for a determined length of time at a certain RPM. Unless something as of recent has changed that's the way its done. It's not going to smoke more with it deleted or welded but you may want it to appear as if its still functional. Also a CEL will count as a failure in that state.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was thinking, and I can use the money I save on the EGR cooler to buy the SCT. Is there any downside to not programming out the EGR right away?

·
Faster Than You
933 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, and I can use the money I save on the EGR cooler to buy the SCT. Is there any downside to not programming out the EGR right away?
Welding it up only stops the exhaust from flowing through, so the valve will still cycle open and shut like normal when called upon. But you might get a insufficient egr flow code.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
How does one get an insufficient EGR flow code on a 6.0?? Where is the sensor that monitors EGR flow?? I am fairly confident that the EGR valve only gives the ECM position information.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
How does one get an insufficient EGR flow code on a 6.0?? Where is the sensor that monitors EGR flow?? I am fairly confident that the EGR valve only gives the ECM position information.
It deterimines egr flow based on the MAF if it has one and the IAT in the manifold. It is just a calculation there is no "flow sensor".

·
1,549 Posts
Got ya. Ok Thx.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It deterimines egr flow based on the MAF if it has one and the IAT in the manifold. It is just a calculation there is no "flow sensor".
So this is why the SCT tuner is used to turn off the EGR function I am guessing. Will there be a driveability problem if one doesnt have the tuner right away?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
So this is why the SCT tuner is used to turn off the EGR function I am guessing. Will there be a driveability problem if one doesnt have the tuner right away?
No driveability problem on the 6.0 like Eric mentioned just a possible CEL. Depending on the strategy though you may have no CEL either jusy a code in the computer.

·
1,549 Posts
I know with my truck (before I had custom tunes or even new how to delete it in the SCT device) I could drive around forever before getting a CEL. What I would do if you get a CEL and you dont have a SCT tuner yet, is I would take it to Autozone or something like it and just have them clear the CEL. Again this is even if you get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts