Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have eric's tunes on the way done 4" all the way, cold side pipe, and the S&B. I am a little in the grey about the block off plates. i read as much as i can on here, and hear this and that about pucking. spent abunch so far and wondering about the plates. can i run them long enough to save for the full EGR delete? or am i wasting my time and motor on the plates?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
My personal feeling on the block off plates is you dont need them untill you do some sort of wastegate, im wondering if my head gaskets have lasted as long as they have because i never did do the block off plates :shrug: i think if i were you i would hold off till you can get a wastegate on that thing to be honest, maybe others will chime in with their thoughts.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
You don't really need them, but it is good insurance for saving the egr coolers and prevent from having the sut crammed through the motor again. Just make sure the tunes that you have are set for running plates or egr delete because you will throw a code otherwise.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My personal feeling on the block off plates is you dont need them untill you do some sort of wastegate, im wondering if my head gaskets have lasted as long as they have because i never did do the block off plates :shrug: i think if i were you i would hold off till you can get a wastegate on that thing to be honest, maybe others will chime in with their thoughts.
That is how is was thinking too. I haven't ran the plates but have been running the big tunes 275 and 310 (now). I thought that not using plates the egr acted like a wastegate. I have been holding off adding the plates and will (soon I hope) be installing the egr delete with wastegate. The downside is the added soot that the coolers add to your motor oil. Just change it often.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
That is how is was thinking too. I haven't ran the plates but have been running the big tunes 275 and 310 (now). I thought that not using plates the egr acted like a wastegate. I have been holding off adding the plates and will (soon I hope) be installing the egr delete with wastegate. The downside is the added soot that the coolers add to your motor oil. Just change it often.
Exactly

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
They are good and bad. They do save the coolers, but the EGR system acts as a wastegate so this would be bad if you are running the highest HP tunes.
If the valve is completely shut off and closed with the 275 and 310 tunes, doesn't the EGR not act like a wastegate on those tunes anyways....and it only cycles at idle with the 210 and 250 tunes. I don't have the blocker plates in my truck anymore, but I do have the valve shut off on all my tunes....this is just how I have always viewed it.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
If the valve is completely shut off and closed with the 275 and 310 tunes, doesn't the EGR not act like a wastegate on those tunes anyways....and it only cycles at idle with the 210 and 250 tunes. I don't have the blocker plates in my truck anymore, but I do have the valve shut off on all my tunes....this is just how I have always viewed it.
My feeling is if the back pressure is high enough it will open the valve anyway by over comming the spring pressure, i am not sure exactly what the valve looks like ect, but i would be willing to bet two truck side by side one with plates one without will have different drive pressure, thats just me though

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
i honestly didnt notice a difference on BP from having the plates on or off...maybe slight difference but nothing to jump out of your seat about, lol

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Our general rule of advice at Elite on the egr delete/ block off is you can do simply a block off up to the 250 tune and kind of get away with it. 275+ tunes will cause engine damage with the egr system blocked with no wastegate. As mentioned previously, there's just too much back pressure above that level as the EGR system does relieve some back pressure. Just keep in mind, anyone running an agressive tune capable of building 60+ psi would be adding insurance by getting the wastegate kit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have not ran across a wastegate kit who is offering one that will work without doing a full EGR delete?

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
Like power smoker said, elites kit is capable of still retaining the egr coolers. Either way the egr has to be turned off through the tune no matter what tuner one has. Either way it is smart to plug the 2 coolant ports on the motor and using a block off plate from the coolers to the egr valve should work fine if you are planning on staying with the coolers and factory elbow.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Elite is just about ready to release an egr elimination kit that's strictly bolt on, and quite a bit less money than for a 6.0. pricing to be released with the kit in the near future. this does not do a wastegate though, so keep that in mind, but it does completely remove the coolers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts