Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Efuel wiring - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

This is the wiring diagram i used but the pump will not make any noise. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to check it. I wired it through alast write relay and oil pressure switch. Does anyone have any ideas?

I know the relay is right. The oil pressure switch I'm not sure. Power to the oil pressure switch is from key on power same as my gauges in the cab, trigger is from the starter solenoid in the fender, last wire is from the relay.

Suggestions on changes are also welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it's wired through an oil pressure switch will it run the pump with no oil pressure?

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Bypass the oil pressure switch and see if it runs. Oil pressure switch opens on low oil pressure so may be keeping fuel pump from running.

Also bypass everything with a hot wire directly to the fuel pump and see if pump runs, also check for good ground from fuel pump to chassis.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Why everyone wires a oil pressure switch into the mix makes no sense to me. :shrug:

Just use a relay for the pump controlled by KO power and be done. I tapped right into the engine compartment fuse box.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Make sure the ground is good and hardware it straight to the positive battery post. It's not hard to tell if the epumps are running.
Why everyone wires a oil pressure switch into the mix makes no sense to me. :shrug:

Just use a relay for the pump controlled by KO power and be done. I tapped right into the engine compartment fuse box.
It's so that it isn't pumping with just key on all the time. That's pretty much it. I used a $10 OPS and like $1 worth of wire and my pump only runs when I want it to.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

why would you want your fuel pump running when the engine is not running? it makes no sense.

beyond the obvious draining the battery for no reason there is the safety aspect.
collison that knocks you out and cuts a fuel line or breaks a fitting will dump your diesel fuel until the tank runs dry or your battery dies.

I am not a fan of that wiring diagram. I ground through the oil pressure switch

·
Registered
758 Posts
why would you want your fuel pump running when the engine is not running? it makes no sense.

beyond the obvious draining the battery for no reason there is the safety aspect.
collison that knocks you out and cuts a fuel line or breaks a fitting will dump your diesel fuel until the tank runs dry or your battery dies.

I am not a fan of that wiring diagram. I ground through the oil pressure switch
If you choose the correct source for the control it only runs with KO. Idk about everyone else but if my keys on, so is the engine. My truck doesn't sit all afternoon with the key in run for no reason. It doesn't come on if its in accessory just KO.

Putting in the pressure switch is just something else to fail causing issues.

And if I get into an accident or situation where I CAN'T simply shut the ignition off which in turn shuts the pump down, I'm pretty sure my fuel pump running is going to be the last thing on my mind...

Idk how having no pressure switch causes unnessessay battery drain either?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
having 38 gallons of a flammable liquid spraying amidst a collision scene should be 'on your mind'.
so that makes it 'safer' for low cost

you have posted this same 'closed minded' argument a few times.
any 'issues' are easily over come.
with any small conductor you can jump the oil pressure switch in a minute if it is in the ground side of the circuit.

can you come up with a single reason you need your pump running when the motor isn't?
only time I need that is when draining the tank.

cost vs benefit the oil pressure switch wins

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
And if I get into an accident or situation where I CAN'T simply shut the ignition off which in turn shuts the pump down, I'm pretty sure my fuel pump running is going to be the last thing on my mind...
And if you're unconscious do you want flammable liquids to be sprayed at high pressure all over the scene? I'd rather be pulled out injured than injured and burned to a crisp or just burned to death.

It isn't that hard to figure out.

I have an oil pressure switch as well as an inertia switch which will also cut power (cuts the ground to my relay actually) to the pump in a wreck.

OP it's time to bust out a test light and see when you have power going to the pump. You're the only one who knows which wires you used for power sources.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Theres a reason why every auto manufacturer makes their vehicles with e-fuel pump shutdown. They learned the hard way that once you fry a customer, they generally don't buy another vehicle and the relatives tend to sue for big bucks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am on shift today at the fire station so I will be checking all this tomorrow. I will post results when I get them. The reason I wanted the pump to run with the Key On Engine Off was to prime the pump was to prine the system after filter changes, pump changes, etc. Is there a way to make it run for a time like the GP?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
yes. I have the 20second timer from OBS Fuel Pump Controller

and a oil pressure switch from them too Oil Pressure Switch

I bought their whoile harness but didnt use it as I went in to the factory underhood power distribution box

·
Registered
758 Posts
you have posted this same 'closed minded' argument a few times.
LOL

Pretty sure I haven't ever commented on efuel wiring before but if you say so.

Wasn't trying to start a pissing match here

If you have a situation where you can't turn the key off odds are emergency personnel are cutting the battery cables anyway.

Think about all of the airdog and fass systems that don't have any pressure switch wired in. Same deal. All comes down to what YOU want to do.

With that being said, I'm done. Best of luck to all.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If you have a situation where you can't turn the key off odds are emergency personnel are cutting the battery cables anyway.

Think about all of the airdog and fass systems that don't have any pressure switch wired in. Same deal. All comes down to what YOU want to do.

- so EMT are going to be on scene instantaneously? congrats you saved $13 but risk your life

- I agree, if you wired any lift pump with no safety features it is the same deal, it is a poor installation.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
The notion of sliding her off into the rhubarb patch and slow flopping onto its side over stumps, rocks, roadside debris is something I've seriously considered. I carry precious cargo, namely family, friends and work mates too (as it's a work truck). So engine stalls or runs out of oil I feel it's important fuel shuts off (thus oil p switch). Easy to do running ground circuit through switch. Vast majority of my driving is no where near EMT and by the time they got there to "cut" the cable, we'd have hundreds of litres of fuel on the ground and potentially a huge bonfire blazing.

jrc

·
Registered
909 Posts
You guys are way off point. Who cares how its wired. Is it your truck? nope so dont get all bent out of shape.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Totally.... ^^^ is precisely why I have them on my trucks.... To protect me, my loved ones and others. I feel it's irresponsible to not have some sort of remote safety shut off. Particularly in this instance when the cost is insignificant relative to the potential catastrophic consequences.

But that's just me....

In terms of switch failure that's why I wired the ground circuit through the oil p switch, if it fails.... by pass, run till you can replace it.... no drama here.

jrc

·
Registered
758 Posts
You guys are way off point. Who cares how its wired. Is it your truck? nope so dont get all bent out of shape.
Getting bent out of shape is the name of the game on this forum, come on you should know that by now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts