Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Spartan is the best. I have spent a lot of time researching programmers. I went to my local diesel performance shop and inquired about getting a Spartan Dashq installed with S&B intake and 4" single doc/dpf delete exhaust. He claims Spartan is expensive (can't deny) and mostly used for racing. He says he's installed quite a few Edge programmers in Superduty's before which guys like.

My questions are:
- How do the Edge Race evolutions work with aftermarket intake / exhaust?
- I have read from old posts that without a transmission learn feature they are hard on transmissions.
- Anything else I should know about Edge products?

I am still very much in favor of a Spartan, just need a little more info on Edge.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
We sell a ton of Edge Race units to people looking for a little more power HP with DPF delete capabilities. Honestly, they have been working great. The lack of trans tuning is not an issue for these guys as hot rodding is not what they do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know Spartan is the best. I have spent a lot of time researching programmers. I went to my local diesel performance shop and inquired about getting a Spartan Dashq installed with S&B intake and 4" single doc/dpf delete exhaust. He claims Spartan is expensive (can't deny) and mostly used for racing. He says he's installed quite a few Edge programmers in Superduty's before which guys like.

My questions are:
- How do the Edge Race evolutions work with aftermarket intake / exhaust?
- I have read from old posts that without a transmission learn feature they are hard on transmissions.
- Anything else I should know about Edge products?

I am still very much in favor of a Spartan, just need a little more info on Edge.
Just looking at the standard tunes available (not the 275 and 310), I'm not sure I understand the "mostly for racing" comment. The phalanx has a bunch of DPF on tunes, tow tune, several DPF off tunes...doesn't seem like a "race" only setup to me. If you're only ever going to run 1 tune, options don't matter as much, but I'll use several of them for daily, street, and long highway trips.

·
Registered
803 Posts
SCT pre-programmed is also a great option for decent power and off road capability. If you decide to step it up, you can always go with custom tunes later. PM or email if you'd like more details.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think what the mechanic meant was the Spartan is more for racing because of it's monitoring capabilities and high hp tunes available. If you are into drags or sled pullin a Spartan is for you. If you are an every day driver like me, you can get away with something with less bells and whistles and less hp.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you are going to buy an Edge buy it used. We take at least one out a week and upgrade to Spartan. The mileage alone will pay for the difference in tuners. Edge is what we call a Mass produced Mediocre device. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As mentioned earlier, You get what you pay for and it all depends on your use. Word of advice! Just look at what everybody else is running and the reasons. You will really kick yourself if you buy something cheap and want to upgrade because if you think Spartan and Blackmaxx are expensive try adding the price of an Edge on top of that. I did.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I run the edge chip with the new cs display. Its not a huge power chip or anything. Ive been running it for a year now, mostly on level two for daily driving and towing, and level four for fun. Havent lifted the heads or anything yet. Seems pretty safe to me. Like you said for the money I don't think its bad at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i run my edge race evo on level 4 all the time shift point were a lil if'y at first but the tranny learned it pretty quick and it has good power. I talk to the edge rep about two days ago and he told me the ford guy for them was workin on a much more powerful tune for the race evo and it will be ready in a couple of months and we can just download it in a update but he did not know how much more power they were putin in the the new tune. Their are otherr tuners that make much more power but i think it is a good one for the money. good luck with it man.:ford:

·
Diesel Addict
1,565 Posts
Like everyone says do it right the first time and if you want the spartan than i would get it dont just settle for something cause its cheaper. I had an edge on my 01 and it took the tranny out then i learned they dont do trans tuning or if they do its very light so i learned my $4,000 lesson right there 1200 for a spartan is better than 4000 for tranny (plus cost of prog.) plus the spartan comes with 8 tunes already on it thats double what the edge comes with plus the dash daq is awesome. i would buy an SCT with innovative tunes before an edge

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
you will needa tranny w/ the spartan too, if you run the larger tunes before long too, or any programmer that makes over 500-525+hp

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you will needa tranny w/ the spartan too, if you run the larger tunes before long too, or any programmer that makes over 500-525+hp
I don't think I will take a tranny out because of my driving (I drive conservatively and aren't planning on doing boosted launches all the time). I just don't want the tuner to cause tranny issues due to improper transmission tuning. I don't intend on buying the nutty professor either.

·
Diesel Addict
1,565 Posts
yeah but it will be sooner with the edge. at least with the spartan you have time to save for the tranny so by the time it starts goin south you have the money to rebuild or replace it, especially if you only run the lower tunes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts