Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That was something I never understood, they made it sound like you had to select the camera for it to show up everytime, but your saying when the camera gets power (like a trigger from the backup lights), then the CTS will switch over to it?
That is correct.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well, it's another 29 days . . . So far, so good. I haven't driven it a lot, though.

Two days from now, I take it to Tucson for someone to put it on the lift. Can't trust anyone down here in my small town. :(

Reactions: Lt.Dan

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So far, so good. Had a blip or two, but I will blame that on a loss of connection on a bumpy road.

·
Project Shamu
3,161 Posts
Sweet, the CTS3 is on my Christmas list. Hopefully Santa can pull through! Haha

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Sorry, @Lt.Dan . . . Finally ran the wire for my backup camera today. It is supposed to show when the camera is fired up, when the backup lights are on. It worked before (I think) when I ran the wire through the window. Now I've run it properly and the backup camera comes on when I turn the key on, but then turns off after ten seconds. I don't know what is going on. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: Lt.Dan

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
According to the manual, the camera comes on at start up (due to the setting), and then comes on when put in reverse. It does not come on when put in reverse, even though the backup lights (from which the camera gets power) are on.

Sigh . . . . I will reset again and give it another go.

·
Project Shamu
3,161 Posts
Are you using the Edge camera? Or aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Aftermarket. The camera works fine, as it comes on when it starts. It just does not come on and stay on when I put it in Reverse.

·
Project Shamu
3,161 Posts
Hmm. Edge makes their own camera that is supposed to work with the cts3, but they don't specify if you can use an aftermarket camera with it. The Edge camera is $200!!! The $25 camera i bought for my wife's truck works fantastic with her double din head unit, I would rather use that camera if I can.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hey Jax, something a friend of mine came up with, was instead of hooking the camera up to the reverse lights, he hooked it up to a toggle switch in the dash. So he could turn it on when moving around trying to get under trailers. ( So it stays on when you pull up and move over 1/2")

Might be able to rig something like that temporary to rule out a problem with the light circuit on your truck?

Just a random thought from a nut.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hmm. Edge makes their own camera that is supposed to work with the cts3, but they don't specify if you can use an aftermarket camera with it. The Edge camera is $200!!! The $25 camera i bought for my wife's truck works fantastic with her double din head unit, I would rather use that camera if I can.
There is a simple yellow BNC plug-in terminal on the back. You can use anything.

Hey Jax, something a friend of mine came up with, was instead of hooking the camera up to the reverse lights, he hooked it up to a toggle switch in the dash. So he could turn it on when moving around trying to get under trailers. ( So it stays on when you pull up and move over 1/2")

Might be able to rig something like that temporary to rule out a problem with the light circuit on your truck?

Just a random thought from a nut.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Yes, I will have to do something for troubleshooting.

·
Project Shamu
3,161 Posts
There is a simple yellow BNC plug-in terminal on the back. You can use anything.
i just researched more last night. The CTS3 doesnt have the yellow BNC plug, and Edge forces you to buy an RCA to USB converter for $100 if you want to run your own camera! Wtf.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
i just researched more last night. The CTS3 doesnt have the yellow BNC plug, and Edge forces you to buy an RCA to USB converter for $100 if you want to run your own camera! Wtf.
Well, that's bullshit. Search on line, converters are cheap.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Jax. I have the CS2 and not a big fan. Different, obviously, but same maker. Mine never shows TC lockup, sometimes freezes, sometimes looses PIDs, etc. And heaven forbid it sits in the direct sunlight for more than a few minutes. I think it is just typical of their hardware/software. I'm about to pull mine out entirely and put it in my SSP, to probably never be seen again. I don't see anything to replace it with that would be similar in function, so I'm going to setup a laptop and run FORScan, make a mount for my laptop, and use that as my monitor. Overkill times ten, but it'll be pretty sweet I think. I will need to figure out how to monitor EGTs though, but I'll figure that out later.

·
Project Shamu
3,161 Posts
I dont think the OBS has a PID for TC lockup, or atleast ive never seen it on any scanner, Torque Pro, ForScan, etc? It will show gear Commanded though

·
Registered
284 Posts
I dont think the OBS has a PID for TC lockup, or atleast ive never seen it on any scanner, Torque Pro, ForScan, etc? It will show gear Commanded though
I'll have to check it out. I just got my OBD-II to USB adapter yesterday and I have not had the time to play with it yet. I think it must have a PID though, it shows on the snap-on scanner that I typically use. I used it for a data run a few weeks ago and watched my TC lock up cycle on/off (one of my electrical gremlin issues).

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well, confirmed - the CTS2 will not display the backup camera video when in reverse. It still shows it on startup but I had turned that off -- and it still shows it on start-up. Back to Edge, again.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Update - the long press on the left brings up the backup camera; long press on right to go back.

I have driven over 3200 miles in two weeks. I find:

*CST2 freezes if you turn vehicle off while backup camera on. Workaround, un plug and re plug (reboot) ... or go back to main screen before you turn off.

* After the issue above, you may have problems with it reading one or more, or even all, of the gages. Reboot.

I find this unnecessarily annoying, but have not found a better answer.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Update, just to keep everyone informed.

I am currently driving a lot. For some inane reason, the CST2 loses a "gauge". Battery reading zero (no, it isn't, the original instrument gauge shows fine.), IPR stops, etc.

Sometimes this:

And it is happening more and more. 😕

41 - 60 of 68 Posts