Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 F250 6.0 125000miles.....all is well driving down the road, run over something big in road, hear a pop and engine dies, drift off to the side of the road. Now the truck will not start, and I mean will not even turn over or click the starter. Batteries fully charged, electronics in truck work fine, checked for damage to trans shift selector on side of trans and no damage, just will not turn over. I manually engaged the starter and the engine will crank over fine but not start. Borrowed a scanner and cannot communicate with the ECU. Checked and do have power at pin 16 of the ALDL. Tried different scanner and still cannot communicate. Could the ECU have failed from the bigA$$ pothole or is this just coincidental failure? Was running a superchips canned economy tune, have exhaust and intake otherwise stock truck...anything else to check before I try a new computer? Can I buy a computer and just plug it in or do I have to get it programmed to match the truck VIN etc...ANY IDEAS?

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Now Im not sure on the 6.0s but on the obs and 99-03 SD the cig lighter also supplies power to the obd port. If the fuse for that cig lighter blows then no obd port.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now Im not sure on the 6.0s but on the obs and 99-03 SD the cig lighter also supplies power to the obd port. If the fuse for that cig lighter blows then no obd port.
...full power in the cab...cig, aux power supply, all intruments, stereo, seats lighting everything and I do have power at the ALDL OBD connector

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
If you can't communicate with the PCM, it sounds like you have a V-ref circuit shorted to ground, causing it to shut down. To isolate the source of your problem, I would start unplugging all your sensors one by one, until communication is restored with the PCM, starting with the fan clutch wiring connector.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can't communicate with the PCM, it sounds like you have a V-ref circuit shorted to ground, causing it to shut down. To isolate the source of your problem, I would start unplugging all your sensors one by one, until communication is restored with the PCM, starting with the fan clutch wiring connector.
If the PCM is bad, will it cause the engine to NOT turn over. As stated above, when I turn the key the dash lights come on and I can hear the usual clicking noises under hood....turn key all the way to engage starter and NOTHING happens, not even a click.

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
If the PCM is bad, will it cause the engine to NOT turn over. As stated above, when I turn the key the dash lights come on and I can hear the usual clicking noises under hood....turn key all the way to engage starter and NOTHING happens, not even a click.
This means the PCM doesn't "know" the shifter is in PARK or NEUTRAL for whatever reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts