Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i drive 100 miles to work and my coolant temp never gets over 165. oil temps are right at 190-200. one day the temps went up to 230. so tonight i replaced the thermostat. my question is i just let the truck idle for 30 mins and the temps went up to 168/170. so do the temp not go up to 185-190 when idleing or just going down the road?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Idling will rarely if ever achieve normal coolant operating temps. Gotta drive it.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
If i leave mine idleing for 20 mins after fully warm (185ect), it will drop to about 169 or so

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i drove it this morning to work...100 miles....coolant was at 184-186 and oil was 220-226...my oil cooler is a month old. Could this be ipr screen... truck runs perfect....i also keep poping a fuel delivery code. My oil level is good. My fuel pressure is 65 never drops even on wot runs. I have updated standpipes dummy plugs. One year old adrenaline hpop. No hpo leaks...what could this be?

·
local idiot
761 Posts
oil cooler is clogged most likely. although it could be your water pump. if you arent moving enough coolant through the oil cooler, then there will not be enough flow to achieve heat transfer. i am having the same problem. my ect never gets above 172 in the colder months. my oil cooler is clogged so i achieve 205 degree oil. in the summer time, i get 190 degree ect but my oil temp gets up there around 225-240 at times. most guys will jump on the oil cooler just because it has been thrown out there so many times. While this is true a lot of the times, there are other things that can cause a high delta.

question, did you do a flush when you changed your oil cooler? if so, did you do it before or after the new one was installed?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well driving home yesterday the truck suddenly died. And i noticed the fuel pump wasnt running. So i changed that with the spare pump motor lol.....gotta have on if ur running airdog 2.....well still didnt run so i checked my fuse on my wire harness....and fuse was blown so replaced that...blew as soon as i turned the key. So i checked harness and it had been rubbin my front driveshaft. So i cut and spliced the harness and noticed my copper wire were all burnt up. So ive got new harness comming from pureflow. Fre of charge. How can u check the water pump to see if its up to par? I highly doubt the oil cooler is clogged....it only a month old. Yes i did flush the lines when i replaced the oil cooler

·
Registered
959 Posts
Before or after the new cooler was installed

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes before. And i installed coolant filter too. So what else could this be other than water pump and oilcooler. Could it be cloggedipr screen....when the truck runs it runs perfect. I also did oil change and new filter...motorcraft.

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
Good or bad the ipr screen would not effect the deltas between ECT and EOT.

·
local idiot
761 Posts
if it were me, I would pull the water pump and inspect the impeller. I started a thread a while back concerning a pump curve for the water pump. it hit a dead end pretty quick. just pull it and check the impeller for excessive wear. you can also measure the impeller to see how much it has worn. not sure of the actual number but IIRC its 90mm?????

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yep ^^ what he said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts