Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NSTY 6OH
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 06 F250. Pretty much stock except a 4" straight pipe. I installed EGT, EOT and ECT glowshift gauges last week. The ECT I put in the side of my block, the EOT I replaced the oil filter cap with one that was taped for the EOT sensor. I know I have been reading the temps should stay no more then 15 degrees apart. Here is the issue or is it an issue? My ECT stays around 210F and my oil has never seen more then 185F ish. That's def more then a 15 degree difference. I called a local diesel shop and they told me that's fine because I still have my factory EGR cooler and just watch and make sure my oil temps do not go above 200F. Should I be concerned with my temps or does it seem pretty normal?

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
I would say your oil cooler is restricted..

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
or it could be your gauges. I have a buddy who had issues with his glowshift gauges. One wasnt reading correctly and was off by 10*. That might be your issue, or as stated above your oil cooler might be restricted.

·
NSTY 6OH
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But if the oil cooler was a problem, dont you all think the oil temps should be a lot higher then what they are? right now the coolant temp is higher then the oil temps.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Two things. Stay far away from that local shop that gave you the advice above. Then don't listen to zx800x either.

Your oil at operating temperature will be higher than your coolant temp. There is a problem with the sensor, sensor placement, or the gauge itself. The values you are seeing cannot be right.

If your actual coolant temp is really 210 then your oil would normally be right around 215. Your oil temp sensor should be ok where you have it, but one of them is off.

You are correct in assuming that if the oil cooler is getting clogged up your oil temps will get hotter. Enough restriction and the egr cooler doesn't get enough coolant flow and under a load will flash boil the coolant causing a puke at the overflow tank or your egr cooler to rupture.

You need to verify that both of your sending units are right. I don't think much of Glowshift.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Always staying at 210 seems a little high for coolant. I will only see 210 for a very short period of time in 100 degree weather, then the fan will kick on and bring me back around 190ish. I'm thinking that gauge may read a little high...

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
:whs:

You are correct in assuming that if the oil cooler is getting clogged up your oil temps will get hotter. Enough restriction and the egr cooler doesn't get enough coolant flow and under a load will flash boil the coolant causing a puke at the overflow tank or your egr cooler to rupture.
My gauges read 190° on both ECT and EOT for months, just a few weeks back EOT started rising when cruising around 75-80mph down the highway. I started thinking the oil cooler was getting plugged up and was gonna change it, bought all the parts and all. Everyone else was telling me I was just panicking, and should punch out the gauges and go on with life. Well couple weeks ago seems the EGR cooler had enough and truck started hydro-locking.

Some of the times my coolant temp would rise also, but never really more than 210° while oil temp would get up around 230° at times. Mostly was seeing a 10°-15° difference or less as long as I kept it easy.

·
NSTY 6OH
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm I just switched the EOT and the ECT gauges with eachother and took it for a drive. Now they are both staying right around 190* give or take. Weird.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
I tapped my coolant temp right there on the oil cooler but on the coolant side I see about 210 on average.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
I replied before I read the post real clearly. I was thinking you were reading the temps through a scan tool not at the gauges. And as stated the oil should be slightly higher. But not much over 10*. My bad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts