Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys new to the powerstrokes and i am wondering why is everyone removing the ebpv whats the pros and cons.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Because its junk, if it fails and it will.......it can cycle open and close driving down the road, get stuck open and cause an oil leak, get stuck closed and then the exhaust flow is choked ooff basically and you get an oil leak too.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The pros to having one: really niot too many, but its supposed to help speed up engine warmup (an idle conroller, either the factory APCM/AIC or the DIY AIC will work better), and you can convert it into an exhaust brake (some folks like it, some don't think it works all that well for that purpose).

The benifits to deleting it (meaning deleting the actuator and the butterfly, not just the butterfly): Less places to leak oil, the turbo is much easier to remove/replace, less restriction (the butterflay and shaft take up about 22% of the flow area), about a 50F drop in EGTs.

Cheers!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I took mine off today. If you have a chip with high idle you dont really need it. Seemed to idle better after it was gone. Dont have gauges so I cant justify the 50-100 degree drop some people claim though. If you decide youre gonna do it then your best friend is pb blaster lol.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just unpluged mine....Whats the pros and cons of that...?? Can it still get stuck open/closed?

·
Along for the ride
185 Posts
I just unpluged mine....Whats the pros and cons of that...?? Can it still get stuck open/closed?
As long as you unplugged it when it was open, your good. Other than it is still there, no real problems other than an oil leak...maybe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
As long as you unplugged it when it was open, your good. Other than it is still there, no real problems other than an oil leak...maybe.
Hmmmm ok. Truck was not running when i unpluged it. Does it stay open with key off then close when truck is started?

I cant imagine that its closed, i mean truck runs great.

Am i over thinking this?:confused:

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Its a pos design. It works on a stock truck, I guess. I got rid of mine and if I ever get another 7.3 truck, that pos will come off before I even get a tuner. Intake and exhaust on first day of ownership, when I do the exh Id ditch that thing.

Using it as an exhaust brake is ill-conceived. The valvetrain is not designed for that type bp. You'd have to have your cylinder heads fitted with stiffer springs for that which is a common performance upgrade, anybody looking for performance knows how backwards the valve is for performance.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Its a pos design. It works on a stock truck, I guess. I got rid of mine and if I ever get another 7.3 truck, that pos will come off before I even get a tuner. Intake and exhaust on first day of ownership, when I do the exh Id ditch that thing.

Using it as an exhaust brake is ill-conceived. The valvetrain is not designed for that type bp. You'd have to have your cylinder heads fitted with stiffer springs for that which is a common performance upgrade, anybody looking for performance knows how backwards the valve is for performance.
I'm sorry what........

Your avatar is so distracting.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts