Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 7.3 powerstroke. i wired the butterfly valve to a switch. it only closes about half way though. what could cause this? could the ebpv solenoid on the pedestal cause this?

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
Can you unhook it from the armature and fully close it by hand? Tells you if the valve is binding.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish by putting a switch on it?

Most do away with it.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If you’ve used it lots might be the Piston assembly is leaking and will not close completely. There are now kits available to rebuild the oil pressure driven piston iirc Riff Raff might have them. When activated by the solinoid oil pressure fills behind the piston driving the linkage rod to close the EV. As it wears out the seal on the piston will bypass oil, which means a rebuild. The actual rebuild is not a big deal, getting the turbo and pedistol off can be a royal pain in the arse. Recommend spraying bolts with a quality release agent like PB blaster or other product and heat cycle for a few day by driving, spray, drive. While in there you’ll wanna check the seal on your up pipes too. And while you have the pedistol off trim the front facing web between the pedistol mounts to make it easier to get a wrench on the fuel banjo bolt. Upon reassembly use a quality anti seize paste on all threaded surfaces... to make it easier next time you pull it apart.
Cheers,
j

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Just putting a switch on it doesn't make it the poor mans exhaust brake.

The exhaust brake mod is a little bit more involved than just a switch.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I put a switch on mine, and it works well as an exhaust brake when towing down a grade.

That's about all you have to do with a standard transmission.

However, if you have an auto tranny, then you also need to put a switch on the tranny's converter lockup so that you can lock it when coming down the grade. Otherwise, you may just be churning tranny fluid without getting the retardation needed, although the tranny's coast clutch does provide some friction assistance.

·
College Student
191 Posts
I have an 4EOD and I don't have a torque converter switch, I just have the toggle switch to the EBPV. I just watch the RPM's and only flip it on when the torque converter is locked. I know when my truck's torque converter is locked and not. I also can tell when it is about to unlock just from experience. When its about to unlock or did unlock, all I do is flip it off, blip the throttle and turn it back on...

I wish I had it for the bottom 2 gears though, not just 3rd and 4th...

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
I have an 4EOD and I don't have a torque converter switch, I just have the toggle switch to the EBPV. I just watch the RPM's and only flip it on when the torque converter is locked. I know when my truck's torque converter is locked and not. I also can tell when it is about to unlock just from experience. When its about to unlock or did unlock, all I do is flip it off, blip the throttle and turn it back on...

I wish I had it for the bottom 2 gears though, not just 3rd and 4th...
I've heard of people having tunes written just for that reason. Flip it into that tune and the TC locks for anything over 5-10mph, makes it easy, and you dont need any extra wiring etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts