Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to track down a leak for the last few month. I replaced the orings top and bottom and the actuator hole didn't show any leakage.

I pulled it and found today that the post/rod that the electric solenoid is bolted down on is loose and leaking, running over to the passenger side, and down.

I cannot find any information showing how to remove a plug this. Only the side with the rod. What can I do about this minus a non-ebpv base. I really would like to get it plugged/welded/gutted, or whatever would be the best way this weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Weld 'er shut. First, remove the turbo and the pedestal. Take the solenoid, actuator, and rod and piston out. You will have an empty "barrel" where the rod and piston was. Saw the uppper part of the barrel off, then it'll look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Now weld the large slot closed, the hole where the solenoid was, and the two smaller holes inside the bottom of the barrel. It'll now look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
This is aluminum, I took mine to a cylinder head shop that was good at welding aluminum castings. They preheated it and TIG'ed it.

Clean the passages out good afterwards, reinstall new o-rings and put 'er back together.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot. I was trying to find those pictures and couldn't find them anywhere.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, pedestal welded up by a pro, reinstalled today. Leak continues. I knew something was going to happen because everything went together too easily.

The turbo itself is leaking where the center housing meets the exhaust side. Starting new thread on this issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts