Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done cleaning my EBP sensor, tube and elbow because I thought it might help with my EBPV not working right. It stays closed even when I get on the throttle and closes after sitting in the sun on a 100 degree day but then will open after a little warming up. Well cleaning the sensor and tube didn't help so I just unplugged the two prong connector for the EBPV right under the turbo and the EBPV still closes. I was under the impression that it shouldn't close when that is unplugged. Anybody have any idea why it might still be closing, and why it doesn't work right to begin with? Thanks

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
it's probably being told to by the PCM.....I would guess that you have a sensor going south that is giving a false reading....and because you have just cleaned the EBP sensor, I would change it first, of get a Dongle and put in it.
Dongle: http://www.spdiesel.com/

I have no idea why it would close when unplugged ??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I just saw this now and it's funny that you would say that. I took the pickup to a guy whose got a scanner to do a cylinder contribution and buzz test. And when I was talking to him that was exactly what we narrowed it down to. I haven't had the time to pull one of my spares yet, but that will be the next thing I do. Well right after I straighten out my glow plugs.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
it's probably being told to by the PCM.....I would guess that you have a sensor going south that is giving a false reading....and because you have just cleaned the EBP sensor, I would change it first, of get a Dongle and put in it.
Dongle: http://www.spdiesel.com/

I have no idea why it would close when unplugged ??
The EBP sensor is unrelated to the EBPV valve that closes the butterfly on the exhaust housing.. With the pigtail on the EBPV solenoid on the turbo unplugged you will get a SES light set P4786 IIRC, and your butterfly closes.

To remedy the situation disconnect the butterfly valve from the EBPV actuator on the Pedestal. Then unplug the pigtail and get a terminator for that pigtail from Dfuser.com, just look on there site for sensors, etc...

Don't leave the pigtail plugged in.. You will likely get a lot of oil leaking from the actuator cylinder since you removed the resistance. At least I did.

BTW, The EBP sensor provides the PCM with Exhaust Backpressure readings.. They are used for fuel trimming and may possibly, but not always effect fuel econ

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yes they are.
Almost everything is replaceable. But what you really want to replace is the EBPV pedestal with a non-EBPV ped.. The stock OEM EBPV ped is a huge leaker and for what it does on cold starts is useless unless it is below 0 outside. I run all winter around the Sierras, Rockies and Sawtooth ranges at elevation in cold temps and never notice it's missing.. Until I don't have to fix a leak.

This in my book is one of the best mods since it turns a leaking problem into a fix it once and leave it be...

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Almost everything is replaceable. But what you really want to replace is the EBPV pedestal with a non-EBPV ped.. The stock OEM EBPV ped is a huge leaker and for what it does on cold starts is useless unless it is below 0 outside. I run all winter around the Sierras, Rockies and Sawtooth ranges at elevation in cold temps and never notice it's missing.. Until I don't have to fix a leak.

This in my book is one of the best mods since it turns a leaking problem into a fix it once and leave it be...
Mine don't leak.

Based on you previous post, you don't even know how the EBPV system works so people should probably ignore anything you have to say about it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mine don't leak.

Based on you previous post, you don't even know how the EBPV system works so people should probably ignore anything you have to say about it.
why don't you just straighten us all out then....

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
why don't you just straighten us all out then....
I didn't say "you all" don't know how it works, I said "you" don't know. Why did you include everyone else? You can probably find out how it works using the search feature. I've explained it in the past.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
waiting for you since you opened your keyboard or mouth.

Mine is based on my direct experience, and i am posting on a public forum.

And I did not throw anything over the fence, And you....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts