Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading a lot about the EBPV brake and did quite a bit of searching but could not find anything on how to actually do it :shrug:. Any good links you guys know of?

I looked at Guzzle's page and the TC Lockup looks super easy but I was wondering why you wouldn't just tie the switch for the brake and the TC Lockup together. Let me know where I am going wrong on this. :doh:

Thanks in advance. :bowfast:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ... I looked at quite a few that I did eventually find by searching the web and I think I am definitely going to do a modified version of Swamp Donkeys design becaue I love the brake pedal design. I do however want to lock up the TC without closing the EBPV, so I will have to do a little more design work.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I made(well actually my buddy made it, im not that good at electrical), the TC lock up box from guzzles site. It worked very well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done a little re-design and will be posting it after this coming weekend. Basically, the original design from Swamp Diesel didn't light up in position 2 until the brake pedal was depressed. I decided that I wanted to know before I hit the brake that I was in mode 2. It required a couple of more diodes (another $1.99) but it should work. I will post the circuit design and talk about results when it is finished. Stay tuned.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I have done a little re-design and will be posting it after this coming weekend. Basically, the original design from Swamp Diesel didn't light up in position 2 until the brake pedal was depressed. I decided that I wanted to know before I hit the brake that I was in mode 2. It required a couple of more diodes (another $1.99) but it should work. I will post the circuit design and talk about results when it is finished. Stay tuned.
Cool.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK ... Installation is this weekend (or after work if I get antsy). Here are two updated diagrams. The first one is complete while the second one has the LED's removed so it is a little more clear on the function. The point here is to have the LED's for mode 1 and mode 2 be solid on when in that mode instead of the LED only going off when the brake is depressed in mode 2.

full design.jpg without indicators.jpg

If anyone see's any issues let me know. My only concern is the .7 voltage drop across the diodes to the TC. It shouldn't be an issue but you never know. I also do not know if this design will cause the Overdrive light to flash. If that turns out to be an issue, I can always add a relay and do something like Guzzle did.

It just dawned on me a few minutes ago that I did not add the diodes to the drawing that go to the EBPV. I will update the diagram and re-upload it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This should look better.

full design.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I had enough time to put this in today but between snow flurries and realizing I was going to have to pull an intercooler pipe to get to it, I did not. I thought it was easier to get to than that. I will have to try and either find another warm "Full" day or get a heated garage.

·
Above It All
285 Posts
With an '01, I would worry about the lockup. Earlier trucks would unlock with brake application. Yours don't. Your good down to about 35mph.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure I quite follow there. I assume you mean the TC lockup. Do you mean that with the switch "on" that I cannot stop without stalling the truck or even slow down too much? If so, I did know that. I know that the systems you can buy take this in to account as well as cruise control, speed, etc .. I just didn't want to pay $300.00 for something I could do myself so I made the LED's especially obnoxious. The full lockup setting is practically blinding.

·
Above It All
285 Posts
With an '01, I would worry about the lockup. Earlier trucks would unlock with brake application. Yours don't. Your good down to about 35mph.
TYPO! My Bad. "I wouldn"t worry about the lockup."

I was trying to say that the '01 will stay locked down to 35 mph. Just take it out of OD.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting ... I have distinctly noticed while coasting off of the highway that the truck RPM drops to idle almost exactly at 35mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts