Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to turn your warm up valve into an exhaust brake. I know bully dog sells a kit but I didnt know if you could do it yourself for cheaper.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Buy a dp tuner with the decell tune it uses that as well as locking the conv with the brake applied down to 25 mph.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
ya, its always fun to switch to a tune, then off it, then back on...

I really liked the SP diesel version I had for years. Locked the TC at what ever speed you wanted and it was all controled from the cruise buttons.

I'll have to dig around, I know I have seen a really good write up for the EBPV brake...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i thought there was valve float issues with doing that?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
With Jody's tunes you get downshifting as well as what I described before. I pull a 12-13K toyhauler in the mtns here in Az and hardly use my brakes on 6% grades.

As for valve float I would think the added backpressure of the ebpv being closed would help keep the exhaust valve closed not make it float. If the intake valve is floating I have not noticed it. Jody could answer that better than I. All I know is with my big trailer that tune was worth the cost of the entire setup. I can decend a 5 mile 6% grade with 1 tap on the brake close to the bottom. BTW I start down @ about 55-60mph and it will hold 62-64mph.

I don't know what the cost of a brake is but with all the other features @ about $500 the dp made for a good value.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
When you are off the go pedal (no boost) what could make the valve float?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If you need an exhaust brake why not get a tuner that takes it steps farther? Hitting 1 button and have it all is better than having seperate switches for all the functions the tuner will do. Just my $.02.

·
Dawt Kawm
9 Posts
This might sound kind of stupid, but has anyone just used a cable to actuate the valve? Similar to a choke cable/lever on a motorcycle?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
If you need an exhaust brake why not get a tuner that takes it steps farther? Hitting 1 button and have it all is better than having seperate switches for all the functions the tuner will do. Just my $.02.
I had that with my SP Diesel controler... And I could run it in any tune I wanted. And I could control my TC lock up and un lock...

And I didnt have to run that particular tuner...;)

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I have seen pac brake 's for 150$ but that was basically the butterfly assembly only.
I need to do more research on the solenoid and air pump system.
that can be mounted inline on a 4" exhaust system.

·
Registered
127 Posts
SP Diesel is what i have on my 6 sp. they also make one for you auto that locks the TC.
Terry

·
Registered
30 Posts
The old man i bought my truck off of gave me a kit that was already wired up so all i had do was hook it up. It was called the powerstroker i believe. Works good for what it is. I use it alot on the winter when warming up even if its not really cold out and it speeds warm up time way up, which is what it was designed to do in the first place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.