Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some stupid reason i posed this same Question in the OBS forum. But how can i tell if the engine i have(junk yard engine) is a early or late 99. There is no turbo, pedistal, HPOP H2O pump, pan. I want to know if i can use the drivers manifold on a OBS.

thanks guys

·
Registered
499 Posts
the intake openings are 3 inch on a late 99 don't know what all is on the engine to determine.

·
Pearson's Diesel
473 Posts
Manifolds should be the same. I think the difference is in the uppipes. The injector codes are also different. The early ones are AB codes.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Do you have any of the electrical? if you don't have the intake, turbo, pedistal, then the only thing left would be to check the injectors. the manifolds are the same if I recall I know you don't have to change them when uprading a e99 to late 99.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Here are most of the differences.

Early 99 has a wicked wheel in it from the factory. And much smaller turbo (spools faster, though)

The early99 has 120cc(AB code) injectors and the late99-03 has 140cc(AD code) injectors.

The early99 has 2" intake plenums. The late99-03 has 3" intake plenums.

The early99 has a 15* swash plate HPOP. The late99-03 has a 17* swash plate HPOP.

The early99 has one glow plug relay. The late99-03 has one glow plug relay and one air intake heater relay side by side (along with early '99 CA models) . Both relays are on the passenger side of the fuel bowl toward the front of the truck.

The early99 has a totally different air intake that is not inter changeable with the late99-03 (except for DRW trucks) . But you can put the late99 air cleaner assembly in the early99 truck. The only three afterarket air filters that work on the early99 are the AFE stage 2, the AIS and the KWIKK 6637.

The early99 track rod has smaller mounting bolts than the late99-03. (except for DRW trucks)

The early99 has shallower rotors than the late99-03. (except DRW trucks)

The early99 has shorter hub-bearings than the late99-03. (except DRW trucks)

The early99 front axle U bolts are square where they go over the spring pack. The late99 U bolts are round. (except DRW trucks)

The early99 has a different pitman arm than the late99-03. (except DRW trucks)

The early99 does not have the AIH like the late99-03. (except CA model)

The early99 does not have the automatic transmission fluid cooler in the radiator.

The early99 has no indicator light showing that "cruise" is on. Late99-03 has a cruise light that will come on when you set the cruise control. The early99 has the light in the dash already. A newer PCM(Yes it will plug in and will run better too) must be used to make the cruise light illuminate. It is a green light on the right side edge, half way up.

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
The OBS vs the SD drivers side Exh manifolds are different.... I have on ill sell ya for cheap if ya want

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think everyone got off track due to the way the op worded his ?. Sounds like badluck early99 had the answer. I almost got in there but after reading it again, not. I know nothing about the obs diesel.

Why do you call yourself Badluck early99???

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
I think everyone got off track due to the way the op worded his ?. Sounds like badluck early99 had the answer. I almost got in there but after reading it again, not. I know nothing about the obs diesel.

Why do you call yourself Badluck early99???
Because i have nothing but bad luck with this truck lol..... the time and money i have invested in this thing could have probably bought me a 6.4 by now :mad: but oh well...... oh and the early 99 part is the fact that its an early 99 lol

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts