Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 'early 99 F-550 @ work, 6 speed. And I haven't been plugging it in. Just a little background info for ya. Anyhow, I cycle key & wait for WTS light to go off, and it starts up great. Go inside to drop lunch box & BS for a few, come back out and its dead. Start it back up. Runs 20 seconds, give it some throttle & it quickly loses rpm & dies. Do this again sometimes up to 3 times before it stays running. Each time taking longer to crank before it fires! Any thoughts? Almost like its starving for fuel? I dunno? I don't THINK its glow plug related since the first time it'll start like a champ... But .... Within the last year it did get injectors @ dealer... Probably remans but not positive. Would assume glow plugs too. Transfer pump maybe? Fuel heater? Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Ryan

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Sounds more oil related to me.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
when is the last time the fuel filter was changed?

I just changed mine in a new to me '02 when i went to drain the bowl nothing came out of the hose, lots of crap collected in the bowl.

it could be oil though, needs around 500psi to start. bad/dirty IPR possibly

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Could you get the truck on ae to see what kind of icp your working with?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doubt i can get it on AE. not completely out of question, but doubt it. I am gonna service it on Friday and go from there. I thought maybe fuel filter also. It dies on me sometimes just driving too.... I can have it to the floor, and it won't hardly get out of its own way... if i let off throttle i think it'd die. if I keep it floored it'll just all the sudden finally take off... I thought either starved for fuel (ie, fuel filter) or ICP or maybe......... just maybe...... CPS???? is it possible? I thought I remembered this being a symptom of CPS failure... but no CEL.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Hey, FWIW my truck was doing exactly the same thing - and it was not fuel related. Filter's good and I checked pressure with a gauge on the fuel bowl.

Long story short, my injectors are at Swamp's right now for overhaul.

Good Luck!
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
low hpop pressure?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
No CEL. About the only thing that will not throw a CEL is fuel. Somebody made a poit one time, you could pull all of the injectors, weld the tips closed, reinstall them, and the truck will not throw a code at all. About the only thing not monitored by the PCM.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I can have it to the floor, and it won't hardly get out of its own way... if i let off throttle i think it'd die. if I keep it floored it'll just all the sudden finally take off...
This part sounds similar to what mine was doing when the IPR was sticking.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright. thanks guys. some things to try anyhow. elimination method

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FOUND IT!

Not sure what the harness/sensor is for? but I had a connector that comes down from cowl area, center of truck above turbo and appeared to be connected, but wasnt. Made some connection but as truck ran, would vibrate enought to break connection. noticed it when I barely touched it and it came apart. other end went to another connector down either on back of HEUI pump or filter bowl??? was hard to see down there w/ hard hat and no light and etc... I could just feel down there. I could kinda wiggle it down there.. not sure what it is? if its IPR or what? I dunno? plugged it in and it runs like a sewing machine again!

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Sounds like the IPR to me; that tin nut that holds the sensor on is famous for coming loose. Glad you found it!
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well maybe I should look @ tightening nut. Because it was loose a little. Almost like a shift solenoid would wiggle a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts