Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am pretty new to powerstrokes so bare with me.

i recently bought a early 99 with a 6 speed and 190k on it, only has blow by at idle and runs pretty strong. i just recently changed oil to rotella, cat delete and muffler delete, new fuel filter, and threw the 6637 air cleaner on there.

then a buddy who has a early 99 auto had a edge evolution he said i could try, put it on extreme in his truck and she would smoke pretty good and accelerate alot faster than mine ever did( hard comparison between stick and auto but his seemed alot snappier) when put on my truck there was not a sign opf smoke even on extreme, it did improve power slightly in the lower half of the pedal but every time i get into WOT with or without the chip i throw a "injector control pressure above/below" code so i am thinking there might be a ICP, IPR, or HPOP problem? you guys think i am on the right track is there one you would suggest to go after first?

Also i just noticed when streaming data on the edge it says "line pressure psi" and it reads 0 even when the truck is running, are they talking fuel line pressure? i am assuming the sensor must be bad it is reading from if it runs with 0 pressure in the fuel line. any idea where that sensor is so i can swap it out?

sorry for the newb questions but i am still trying to figure out the inner workings of the fuel system on these.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Get rid of the edge.

"injector control pressure above/below" is normal with a turner. I'm not familiar with the line codes on the edge, but I'm sure it's not talking about fuel pressure.

With your early 99, you have 120cc AB code injectors. Depending on the condition of the injectors, and how much ICP you are pushing, you may not be able to push enough fuel the really blow smoke.

contact David Lott at Diesel Innovations. He has a fuel pressure gauge setup that will reasonably priced and will help you trouble shoot issues down the road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get rid of the edge.

"injector control pressure above/below" is normal with a turner. I'm not familiar with the line codes on the edge, but I'm sure it's not talking about fuel pressure.

With your early 99, you have 120cc AB code injectors. Depending on the condition of the injectors, and how much ICP you are pushing, you may not be able to push enough fuel the really blow smoke.

contact David Lott at Diesel Innovations. He has a fuel pressure gauge setup that will reasonably priced and will help you trouble shoot issues down the road.
yeah i had heard that code was normal with a tuner but the part that worried me was that i could pull that code when the tuner was off, and did not even take WOT to make it throw the code, just 3/4 or more. and that is the only code i keep throwing besides one KAM code every time i changed the tune which i have also heard is normal.

I will have to look on diesel innovations at his fuel pressure gauge, i really need to get gauges setup on my truck but i have not had time with all my other projects and work right now.

oh and i really dont want my truck to throw smoke i was just using that as a reference between the amount of fuel and [power my buddys truck made in comparison to mine considering they are both early 99's with completely stock motors except both have the 6637 intake. i was trying to figure where the difference was coming from?

Edit: the edge is already gone, i just borrowed it to see what the extra power felt like but i was not impressed and actually liked the character of the truck better in the stock setting even though the extreme gave a little more power cause it idled rough, took forever to warm up and started way too hard for my liking in the 20-40 degree weather we have been having.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Do what Dirk said. Also, contact a tuner (Like Tony Wildman at Total Diesel Performance). He can hook you up with a custom tuned chip. Get your other issues fixed. You can show your buddy what a snappy truck really feels like.

BTW, there is nothing in the PCM that monitors fuel pressure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am not even running the tuner any more or do i really want one at the moment until i figure out this fueling issue, i was just using that as a reference to the lack of fuel. on my way to work this morning towing 9k at 70 i got the temporary SES light 4 times and every single one was injector control pressure Above/Below code again, any ideas what that is?

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Can you monitor ICP and see what you are getting when it happens. I am betting you have an ICP issue rather than a fuel issue.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
With good aggressive tuning, an early99 can blow lots of smoke. Mine sure as hell did. But it will throw an ICP code and it will set an over boost code.

With the stock turbo my truck would make 32psi of boost but the lung did not live long at that level.

Have you checked to see if it has a chip in the truck already? That could be why there was not a big noticeable difference with the edge on the truck. I know of guys that have had this situation happen to them in the past.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
edge evolution with stock sticks on my early 99 just reving.I would say it smoked and gave me a real nice increase in power.I have nice custom tunes now that smoke way less and goes way faster.So something isn't right with it or your truck.
edge stock sticks

stage 1's and custom tunes giving it hell in 4hi The edge just dumped tons of fuel and went nowhere

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you monitor ICP and see what you are getting when it happens. I am betting you have an ICP issue rather than a fuel issue.
this may be a stupid question but do you know what i could get to monitor the ICP? and for that matter where is the ICP sensor so i an make sure the connection is good to elimiate that possibility.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
ICP is on the driver side head right behing the alt..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to get it on a good scanner and perform all the test. It sounds to me like youre HPOP is heading south.
that was my initial though, my queston is i heard the later 99+ pumps are a 17* instead of my 15* pump and work a little better than the old 15*, can i install a 17* in my 15* without any modification? how rd i it to change a HPOP?

I know the local junk yard hs a whole powerstroke section so i know i could prob find a used one pretty cheap, how much does a new one cost? how about new ICP and IPR for that fact? might just replace all that are suspect because i will be making a trip from alaska to california and back this summer hauling 12k so i would like to know all is good that i can.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Buy an Adrenaline your truck will love it.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
adrenaline--$589 and worth it so far. Look at my avatar, wgt loaded with buggie & supplies almost 13K. On the flats @ less than half throttle 16psi and 80mph. With stock inj. in 40T tune.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
589 isn't bad, is is a hard job to do? doesn't look too complicated but i really would not want to f it up. i went out and was checking the wires today and noticed the sensor in the top of my HPOP resivour cap was loose so i tried to tighten it and realized some one tripped it out and just taped it with plumbers tape and shoved it in there, i cleaned out all the shavings and changed the oil twice after running it a little to make sure it was clean but i bet some of that shavings got down there and runined the pump. sucks!!!

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Clean the ipr. That could be the entire issue.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Correct

1 - 20 of 33 Posts