Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has given me an early 99 2x4 drw truck for parts with 108,xxx miles (motor won't turn over).

I recently purchased a '97 ccsb 4x4.

First question:
From what I can tell, the transmission in my truck is original (256,xxx) and acts to be worn out. Will the 2x4 4r100 work with a tailshaft swap in my 4x4, and which TC do I use?

Second question:
I plan on using the intercooler, spyder, etc. The turbo seems to be in good shape, is it worth swapping (turbo, pedestal, up pipes)?

What other parts can I use off of the early '99 truck?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think it will have the 3" intake on the vs. the 2" on the OBS. Might want to take those too. Not sure about the tranny.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I think it will have the 3" intake on the vs. the 2" on the OBS. Might want to take those too. Not sure about the tranny.
Wrong if its an early 99 it has 2" intakes also. The trans will have to be disassembled and your output shaft be stuck in the 2wd trans.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Take all the intercooler stuff:
1 intercooler
2 clamps and boots take them all !
3 piping you can use the drivers side but you will have to cut chop and build the pass. side .
4 The spider and clamp(s) and boots.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the help so far. :bow:

The truck was just delivered to me, checked out the manufacture date and it is a 12/98 truck. After some searching, I found this:
While most of the engine and power train specific items happened around 12/1/98 - 12/8/98, many of the "little things" such as the lumbar and badging happened at different times. If your truck was made after 12/8/98, You definitely have a "1999.5."
If I read this correctly, wouldn't that make it a late 1999 truck? I'll look for the 3" intakes tomorrow to make sure.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Cmon go look now the suspence is killing me !!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dang man. You got some nice friends.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I came to the shop this morning and checked the truck, it does have the 3" intakes, so I assume it's a late '99 truck.

With this being said, besides the intercooler, pipes, boots, spider, and intakes, what else would be useful to me on this truck (up pipes, collector, turbo, pedestal)?

Dang man. You got some nice friends.
I know, Thanks. :D

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Take the turbo,pedistal,uppipes,IDM (its in the fender liner) sell the PCM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would use the hpop.
The late '99s use a 17* HPOP, correct? Might have to throw that in the OBS too. :D

Take the turbo,pedistal,uppipes,IDM (its in the fender liner) sell the PCM
Will do, thank you. Will the turbo be any better than my factory OBS one?

Just for giggles, did you confirm that the engine is indeed locked up?
No, I haven't had time to do any work on it yet, I have a little more work to do at my shop before I can have time to do my own stuff, so probably later this week.

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
I call dibs on the PCM!

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
No the s/d turbo is not an upgrade . OBS turbo is tougher.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
I am AMAZED at just how tough. The current one on my 96 has 30K and most of those have lots of 32psi boost in every gear while accelerationg. The previous turbo has 220K, the compressor vanes look like a rodent chewed on them, and there was a little endplay, I still have it and it was still making 25psi on the stock injectors and a chip when I pulled it. I have plans to rebuild it someday.

The advantage to the SD up-pipes and turbo pedestal is being able to run a 38r.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am AMAZED at just how tough. The current one on my 96 has 30K and most of those have lots of 32psi boost in every gear while accelerationg. The previous turbo has 220K, the compressor vanes look like a rodent chewed on them, and there was a little endplay, I still have it and it was still making 25psi on the stock injectors and a chip when I pulled it. I have plans to rebuild it someday.

The advantage to the SD up-pipes and turbo pedestal is being able to run a 38r.
Thanks, I'm just going to replace the gaskets/donuts then.

·
Registered
344 Posts
you can use the IDM too, for more voltage. Also you can swap the serpentine belt tensioner pulley(slight mod needed) so you can have the better set up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts