Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Early 99 Intercooler Install

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cjfisher 
#1 ·
After MANY months searching salvage yards I finally struck gold! And not once, not twice, but three times. I was able to snag two early 99 spyders, one of them a complete setup with the all aluminum Intercooler. Also as a bonus I was able to grab an upgraded power steering pump, pulley and bracket off a E350 SD.

I plan on installing this weekend and have a question about the holes in the spyder. I have read many of the posts about this install and it sounds like most people put a threaded plug in the center hole and cut, tap and plug the other two holes. Wondering if I can use the center hole to install my boost gauge fitting and if one of the other two spots can be used to relocate the map sensor hose? I am planning to get new Riff Raff plenums when they are back in stock and will need a spot to plug the map sensor in.

Also if anyone is interested in purchasing the extra spyder and CAC pipes let me know. I posted them in the classifieds section.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm interested to see how much fabrication is required to put this on a '97.

#3 ·
Very little from what I have read. The Intercooler is relatively straight forward. Making the brackets is probably the hardest part. OBS Solutions makes a nice bracket kit if don’t want to make own. There are tons of write ups on the whole process.

For the power steering the only fabrication is having a new line made and mounting a remote reservoir. Luckily I was able to get the reservoir and reservoir bracket from the van. Should be simple. Here is a link to the process…

#4 ·
After MANY months searching salvage yards I finally struck gold! And not once, not twice, but three times. I was able to snag two early 99 spyders, one of them a complete setup with the all aluminum Intercooler. Also as a bonus I was able to grab an upgraded power steering pump, pulley and bracket off a E350 SD.

I plan on installing this weekend and have a question about the holes in the spyder. I have read many of the posts about this install and it sounds like most people put a threaded plug in the center hole and cut, tap and plug the other two holes. Wondering if I can use the center hole to install my boost gauge fitting and if one of the other two spots can be used to relocate the map sensor hose? I am planning to get new Riff Raff plenums when they are back in stock and will need a spot to plug the map sensor in.

Also if anyone is interested in purchasing the extra spyder and CAC pipes let me know. I posted them in the classifieds section.

That's what I did when I did mine a few years ago - also if you look you can see where I drilled and tapped a brass elbow in for the map line (on the back side of the spyder on the right):

Dan

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks Dan. Wondering why not just attach the MAP hose to one of the ports already there? What is the benefit of tapping another spot?

#6 ·
Got the power steering bracket and pump installed last night and what a difference it makes. No more whine, super easy to turn and no more leaks. Overall a very easy modification. Next up is installing the Intercooler. Any thoughts on where to install MAP line? Why not just use one of the existing ports? Any benefit in tapping in elsewhere, hot side vs cold side?

#9 ·

MAP sensor (orange circle) and pressure line (yellow circle) that connects to intake plenum. When I install the Intercooler spyder and new plenums I will need to relocate the connection.

I have read that it is best to tap into hot side of spyder for the MAP connection as it shows the computer the correct boost and helps with fueling and throttle response. Is this correct and if so is it enough of a difference to make it worth while? Would love to just use one of the existing ports and save the work of tapping new port, but want to do it right.

#10 ·
Cainbr,

The pressure does drop a bit as the air passes through the intercooler due to both cooling and fluid dynamics. Having said that that I doubt that the pressure is much more than 1 psi. I left mine tied to the manifold like your picture. Tapping into the hot side would show a bit more boost and maybe help with response a bit. I have read that tapping into the hot side (IIRC) can slightly improve fuel mileage.

Cj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.