Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the early 99 and 99.5-up turbos, up pipes, pedistals, downpipes, etc.?

Obviously a lot different from the old body style with which I'm familiar... was wondering about the later ones, since I have one sitting around.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
All totally different. Use search, it will tell you way more than you want to read.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The early 99s had a "Wicked wheel" installed from the factory, smaller compressor housing. Different exhaust housing I believe too. Up-pipes are different, collector is different, Intake plenums are different, intake "Y" is different. (where the intercooler tubes hook to) of course the intake plenum boots are different.
Here are a couple of pictures of some of the items...

in this picture UNDERSTAND this is a later model VAN turbo, thus the different exhaust housings, BUT the huge difference in the compressor outlet is apparent. That is why you need the different "Y" of course.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a link offsite that explains why the uppipes / turbo is different.

Are the exhaust manifolds the same all 3 generations? can't find that anywhere.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a link offsite that explains why the uppipes / turbo is different.

Are the exhaust manifolds the same all 3 generations? can't find that anywhere.....
never mind, found it off this site....

Diesel Technician Society

the 98 99.5 7.3 DIT manual details a lot of stuff.... differences from 1994.5 to early 99.... shweeet!

(drivers side exhaust manifolds differ from OBS to SD)

repeat after me: must remember to use Google in addition to PSN......

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
Jim what year van turbo is that? i have a chance to get a early 99 motor thats complete with 80k on it. same turbo?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
That van turbo is off a 99.5 or later... not an early 99 van turbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts