Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have an early 04 6.0 with a crank no start no codes I’m reading 1400 to 1600 psi of ICP Have 50 psi of fuel pressure have 48 volts for FICM have battery voltage of 12 volts on the 2 other parameters of the FICM I'm showing FICM synch I’m showing cam and crank signals i have a ICP voltage key on of .22 and 1.93 cranking I’m reading key on 15 duty cycle on the IPR and 45 while cranking no injector buzz at key on and no audible sound while performing buzz test using mac taskmaster scanner I’m seeing up to 180 RPM while cranking seeing 1.9 to 2.0 msec and 34 mm3 fuel mass desired. I have replaced the injector harness sent the FICM off to be refurbished and replaced the PCM any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm not familiar with the taskmaster, so I don't know if that is one of the ones which does a good job pulling codes, but if you're not sure either than I would recommend you try FORScan to pull your codes. It's a free app for the phone and does a phenomenal job. You said you're showing cam and crank signals, but are you showing sync? Also, have you tried starting with the ICP disconnected? You've hit every other thing I could think of off the top of my head.

Reactions: bismic1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not familiar with the taskmaster, so I don't know if that is one of the ones which does a good job pulling codes, but if you're not sure either than I would recommend you try FORScan to pull your codes. It's a free app for the phone and does a phenomenal job. You said you're showing cam and crank signals, but are you showing sync? Also, have you tried starting with the ICP disconnected? You've hit every other thing I could think of off the top of my head.
Thank you for responding. I am reading FICM synch i did replace the IPR and ICP and pigtails when i unplug my ICP there is no default pressure like i have read other people have it just reads 0 psi and logs a code when cranking, there is no injector buzz at key on and when i do a buzz test with the scanner there is no audible buzz and no codes logged during that buzz test

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He asked about cam/crank sync. You can have FICM sync without having cam/crank sync. It won't start that way.

You can also have a bad FICM with it showing good FICM SYnc, AND with proper MPower (48V).
Yes as previously stated i am reading both. FICM synch and cam crank signal yes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He asked about cam/crank sync. You can have FICM sync without having cam/crank sync. It won't start that way.

You can also have a bad FICM with it showing good FICM SYnc, AND with proper MPower (48V).
I did suspect FICM. I tried a different FICM and i sent mine off to be refurbished but that doesn’t mean it was refurbished properly, they may have just hooked to it read the proper voltage painted it and sent it back to me. The no injector buzz at key on is what i keep circling back to and thinking FICM just wanted to get other opinions. Greatly appreciate it

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,271 Posts
LOL. A signal from each sensor is different than Sync. The output signal should be in Hz and in a certain range. To SYNC, the PCM has to identify that they are the CORRECT (ie GOOD) signals.

Maybe semantics or nit-picking, but it isn't completely clear the way you worded it.

There is a PCM PID specifically for Cam/Crank Sync. If it reads "1", then you are in sync.

Weatherlite was trying to be detailed oriented because communication over the internet is not an easy way to troubleshoot. I agree with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL. A signal from each sensor is different than Sync. The output signal should be in Hz and in a certain range. To SYNC, the PCM has to identify that they are the CORRECT signals.

Maybe semantics or nit-picking, but it isn't completely clear the way you worded it.

There is a PCM PID specifically for Cam/Crank Sync. If it reads "1", then you are in sync.

Weatherlite was trying to be detailed oriented because communication over the internet is not an easy way to troubleshoot. I agree with him.
And on some readers it says yes or no. As previously stated mine said yes

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,271 Posts
Man - you didn't state that Cam/Crank Sync PID read YES (or 1). You probably meant to, but you simply stated you had cam and crank signals (see quote below). Not the same thing at all.

Hello i have an early 04 6.0 with a crank no start no codes I’m reading 1400 to 1600 psi of ICP Have 50 psi of fuel pressure have 48 volts for FICM have battery voltage of 12 volts on the 2 other parameters of the FICM I'm showing FICM synch I’m showing cam and crank signals i have a ICP voltage key on of .22 and 1.93 cranking I’m reading key on 15 duty cycle on the IPR and 45 while cranking no injector buzz at key on and no audible sound while performing buzz test using mac taskmaster scanner I’m seeing up to 180 RPM while cranking seeing 1.9 to 2.0 msec and 34 mm3 fuel mass desired. I have replaced the injector harness sent the FICM off to be refurbished and replaced the PCM any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Anyway - so you have BOTH SYNCS. No need to keep on arguing.

Try a known good FICM or get a known good injector and plug it into one of the injector harness spots and see if you can get it to buzz with your scan tool. Might also be an injector harness, or even all 8 injectors (and yes I have seen that before - from contaminated oil).

Best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And on some readers it says yes or no. As previously stated mine said yes
I
Man - you didn't state that Cam/Crank Sync PID read YES. You probably meant to, but you simply stated you had cam and crank signals. Not the same thing at all.

Anyway - so you have BOTH SYNCS. No need to keep on arguing.

Try a known good FICM or get a known good injector and plug it into one of the injector harness spots and see if you can get it to buzz with your scan tool. Might also be a harness, or even all 8 injectors (and yes I have seen that before).

Best of luck.
thank you

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I've had a few oddball problems like yours and while the majority tend to be the obvious there are a few which just leave you scratching your head. For instance, on a 2003 with the exact same symptoms as yours the culprit was a bad ICP sensor. It was brand new, but it was also aftermarket (the owner wanted to be cheap), and when I disconnected it the truck suddenly ran without a problem. After further investigation it was showing something like 40 PSI (It's been a while so I don't remember the details) with the truck off and having sat for hours, so internally there was obviously an issue. Checking Vref showed a slight drop in voltage and when I disconnected the ICP the drop went away. Another case (wayyyy different circumstances) was a bad coil on an injector causing my PATS to activate even though those two things aren't related and don't even communicate. My point is there can be some odd things causing problems so just because you don't think it might be the culprit doesn't mean it should be ignored.

If you have any recently replaced sensors which were aftermarket I would try disconnecting them (if you can....obviously the truck needs a crank sensor to start/run). If you can't disconnect then I would first check your Vref with a scanner and then manually with a meter at the sensor's connector. If there are no recent replacements then look at the obvious like Bismic recommended. Try a known good FICM. Maybe even try a known good PCM. It's rare for them to go bad, but it happens. Plus, I'm suspicious anyway since you should be reading some sort of default pressure for the ICP when it's unplugged. The fact you're getting zero is just weird. I'm not familiar with the scanner you used, but I know FORScan, and if you want to take the time to download it onto a laptop or the like you can monitor everything in real time and even record it so you can go back and look, millisecond by millisecond, to see what might be the problem. Perhaps the PCM isn't sending the signal for the FICM to turn on. If so, is the PCM not receiving all the right signals at the right time, or is it just a bad PCM? Monitoring all the variables, recording them, and looking back, will help trace it all down. It's time consuming and can be frustrating, but it's rewarding once you figure it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had a few oddball problems like yours and while the majority tend to be the obvious there are a few which just leave you scratching your head. For instance, on a 2003 with the exact same symptoms as yours the culprit was a bad ICP sensor. It was brand new, but it was also aftermarket (the owner wanted to be cheap), and when I disconnected it the truck suddenly ran without a problem. After further investigation it was showing something like 40 PSI (It's been a while so I don't remember the details) with the truck off and having sat for hours, so internally there was obviously an issue. Checking Vref showed a slight drop in voltage and when I disconnected the ICP the drop went away. Another case (wayyyy different circumstances) was a bad coil on an injector causing my PATS to activate even though those two things aren't related and don't even communicate. My point is there can be some odd things causing problems so just because you don't think it might be the culprit doesn't mean it should be ignored.

If you have any recently replaced sensors which were aftermarket I would try disconnecting them (if you can....obviously the truck needs a crank sensor to start/run). If you can't disconnect then I would first check your Vref with a scanner and then manually with a meter at the sensor's connector. If there are no recent replacements then look at the obvious like Bismic recommended. Try a known good FICM. Maybe even try a known good PCM. It's rare for them to go bad, but it happens. Plus, I'm suspicious anyway since you should be reading some sort of default pressure for the ICP when it's unplugged. The fact you're getting zero is just weird. I'm not familiar with the scanner you used, but I know FORScan, and if you want to take the time to download it onto a laptop or the like you can monitor everything in real time and even record it so you can go back and look, millisecond by millisecond, to see what might be the problem. Perhaps the PCM isn't sending the signal for the FICM to turn on. If so, is the PCM not receiving all the right signals at the right time, or is it just a bad PCM? Monitoring all the variables, recording them, and looking back, will help trace it all down. It's time consuming and can be frustrating, but it's rewarding once you figure it out.
Thank you very much for the response and i will definitely start with FORscan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts