Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil seal in my turbo failed and is dumping oil into the exhaust
I'd like to replace the turbo as reliability is important. Ive read about the D66 by Beans but most of the posts I found are fairly old.
The Beans website says :
Eliminates troublesome waste gates
-Eliminates restrictive Exhaust Back Pressure Valve

This turbo doesnt use a wastegate??
EBP valve has to be removed?
Any info would be appreciated
Thank you

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Enen - Turbo seals can be repaired, but if you want a performance boost... In my reading the D66 turbos don't spool well. As such they tend to be smoky. You might look to KC turbos, or to a Borg Warner SXE turbo (I know 1023 Diesel offers both KC and the SXE turbos). I recently replaced my turbo with a KC stage 1 with no EBP. OBS 7.3s like my 97 never came with a wastegate, and from what I have read the later 7.3s do fine without the wastegate. Another poster had problems initially with his KC turbo - as I recall he was spilling too much air through the wastegate. As for dumping the EBPV you do eliminate an oil leak point. But if you do want to continue using it I think the housing can be swapped onto the KC turbo (not sure about the SXE).

Cj

·
Registered
2002 F450 SD 7.3L 4R100
88 Posts
I installed a KC300 stage1 as both a refresh/upgrade. Going to a non ebpv pedestal will make for a way more dependable leak free setup and the outlet flapper valve will be deleted with the new turbo. This will make more power/torque and lower egts. You may want to look into bellowed up-pipes while you're at it. Most the work is done once the turbo and pedestal is out. Also to avoid an engine light, you can plug a resistor into the ebpv harness side connector to make it think it's still there and functioning. 470 ohm 1 Watt is the one to use. I got one on Amazon among other parts. But I had to get 100 of them to get one! So might look into that a little more.

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Jelibuilt tunes, BTS trans
482 Posts
Fixing your turbo shouldn’t be hard. A seal kit with new bearings and a 360 degree thrust washer is $80

A 66 mm turbo is big. Unless you’re shooting for race truck, you want something in the 63mm range. The stocker is 60mm.

Also, the factory wastegate set up isn’t “troublesome”. I wonder how many millions of miles they have with no issue. I personally won’t be leaving a wastegated set up.

Bellowed Up pipes are a good thing to do once your into the turbo.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi.
Ive bought a KC300 stage1. Thank you all for your help!
Good call there. You should replace the up pipes with some bellowed ones while you are there to prevent (or most likely correct existing) exhaust leaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts