Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, im back again for coincidentally another e4od thread. Safe to say my 97 has been fine for over a year and almost 20,000 miles, so hopefully this one is just as easy (I doubt it).

so, of course, typical Saturday afternoon, and I was offered by one of my buddies a 94 factory turbo idi f350 4x4. it was sitting in a field behind his work, and was told the owner would take 1,000 for it.

So for $900, I proudly walked away with the keys to a non running or driving 7.3 turbo idi.

Didn't take much to get it running, but the only issue is, it just doesn't move, nor do a darn thing.

the transfer case locks in park, and will free wheel when placed in neutral, so id like to rule that out.

The truck literally doesn't do anything. The truck wont go forward, back up, whine, whistle, grind or anything. The idle wont drop or raise when shifted. I had the truck idling for quite some time, and when I put it in forward or reverse it wouldn't do anything, even revved almost to 4k rpms.

From what I understand, 1st, 2nd and reverse are all mechanical gears, so they would engage via the input shaft, regardless of the mechanical stability of the torque converter, correct?

I checked to make sure the bolts didn't shear off of the torque converter, and they look almost brand new.

the fluid level appears to be fine as well. From what I understand, electronics (such as the vss, mpls, plug on the transmission etc) wouldn't stop it from completely moving correct?

ive also heard that it could be a bad valve body given what its doing but that I find hard to believe.

Anybody have any symptoms like this without a completely trashed transmission? I know its unlikely, but it really looks like it has been rebuilt within the past year or two. Im hoping it may either be the torque converter or input shaft...

Also, I have a transmission out of a 1995 psd I could go pickup, but I would have to re-use my torque converter and valve body...which im trying to rule out as NOT the problem, so I don't end up swapping transmissions, just to fix the original problem on a different trans.

Any help appreciated.

Also, I havnt checked the fluid pressure, I forgot all about it. that would probably narrow it down some.

...and the rear isn't blown.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, before I got the truck running, the O/D light would blink when shifted into reverse, and throught the gears until the key was turned off and back on. Something seems funny about it...The O/D light will randomly come on, and flickers as the selector is moving.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
if the od light is flashing, check the test port for trans codes.
but it sounds like you need a trans rebuild

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,268 Posts
From what I understand, 1st, 2nd and reverse are all mechanical gears, so they would engage via the input shaft, regardless of the mechanical stability of the torque converter, correct?
No, not correct. I don't know what you mean by mechanical gears. All gears are mechanical. Do you think some gears are virtual, and only exist in video games? :wink:

EVERYTHING in an automatic transmission goes through the torque converter all the time. If the the torque converter failed the automatic won't move at all. But there are many other things that can fail and keep it from moving.

the fluid level appears to be fine as well. From what I understand, electronics (such as the vss, mpls, plug on the transmission etc) wouldn't stop it from completely moving correct?
Correct.

ive also heard that it could be a bad valve body given what its doing but that I find hard to believe.
I don't find it hard to believe. If the manual linkage became disconnected you won't get any forward or reverse.

Im hoping it may either be the torque converter or input shaft...
Could be. Or the flex plate broke. Or it had an internal failure. Or the linkage is disconnected.

...and the rear isn't blown.
If it won't roll in park then the rear is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would be a big help for others if posters would come back and post results....
I know this is wayyy past the original post (figured info might help others)
BUT... I have a 97- 7.3- F250 4x4 that did the same thing.
I parked it...and now the truck won't move:
No Reverse and no movement/change in RPM when in any gear...
filter/fluid is new & correct level (warm-in park).
No codes yet- trying to get Innova 5610 scanner to link to truck...
truck won't roll in park-
Accumulator valve body removed and valves cleaned/checked...
MLPS swapped with known good one- no change
Fluid pumps out of return coolant line...
If you run the truck at higher rpm for a few minutes the O/D light starts flashing until key is reset
all connectors have been cleaned

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated since truck is not near any trans shop without major effort.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Two posters with '97s posting in the '83-93 forum... :unsure:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two posters with '97s posting in the '83-93 forum... :unsure:
It's not about the forum or the year for me...It's about an E4OD with a certain symptom...
E4OD's were made from 89 to 97 which crosses several forums including the 83-93 forum now doesn't it...
Am I supposed to respond to this post in another forum?...
Do you have anything constructive to add?

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
What 97 was referring to was this section is for the 83 to 94 IDI diesels.
The proper forum for your question would be in the transmission section.
But since you already asked here....
But since the opnnever got back with what the issue was, we will never know

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,268 Posts
No codes yet- trying to get Innova 5610 scanner to link to truck...
You'll need the codes eventually, but they won't help with this problem. This is something mechanical inside the trans. The codes are for the future problems you don't know about, yet.
truck won't roll in park-
So everything past the transmission is good. The problem is inside the transmission.
Accumulator valve body removed and valves cleaned/checked...'
I'll be that was a lot of fun, but it sure could not have helped this problem, so it was a waste of time.
MLPS swapped with known good one- no change
Of course, there was no change. A bad MLPS could not cause this problem.
Fluid pumps out of return coolant line...
So the pump is doing something. Is it doing enough to engage the clutches? That would take a pressure gauge in the pressure test port.
If you run the truck at higher rpm for a few minutes the O/D light starts flashing until key is reset
Doing that may have finished off the trans. If the clutches were trying to apply and you ran it up to 4000 RPM that would certainly wipe out the friction material on the clutches.
all connectors have been cleaned
Not a bad thing to do, but it certainly can't fix this problem.

This could be:
1. disconnected linkage at the manual valve.
2. Loose feed bolts. Those are located between the main valve body and the case. If they loosen they leak pressure that should be applying the clutches.
3. Failed torque converter.
4. Something broke in the gearset.

Numbers 1 & 2 can be addressed with the trans in the truck. The others require removing the transmission.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.