Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post on the nation. I want to start gathering the parts to do my zf5 swap to my truck if anyone has any parts for this swap or insight I'd greatly appreciate it as of now the only thing I have is the front drive shaft so I got a long ways to go il be looking for pedals shifter boot transharness, trans anything that has to do with this swap. thanks

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I dont have the zf 5 stuff, but I do have a complete zf 6 trans, t-case, pedals, etc... that I could sale you. PM if your're interested.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Purchase a parts truck, take what you need then sell it for parts plus your auto... in this way it's relatively straight across swap. That is what I did....only I owned the parts truck bought my sig truck and did it.

jrc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
getting a parts truck is defantly a option it just sucks because trucks around here in good conditon or not cost an arm and a leg and pretty difficult to find

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found a zf5 a buddy of mine has for sale for 500$ it's got 115k on my question is it from a idi it should fit right?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It will fit. IIRC that is a slightly weaker version of the zf-5. Probaby, will not make a difference unless you are wanting to make a lot more power down the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not anything crazy probley a set of 160/30% sticks so the 350hp range and the trucks gonna be on 35s

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
not anything crazy probley a set of 160/30% sticks so the 350hp range and the trucks gonna be on 35s
You may be pushing it with that donor tranny. Depends on how much torque (not HP) your mods get you. The two trannies are the ZF5-S42 and ZF5-S47, so named for their torque capacity. The S42, found in the IDIs (and, IIRC, in the first of the PSDs), is rated for 420 ft-lb of torque and the S47 is rated (you guessed it) for 470 ft-lb. So at 350 HP, you could very well be at or above 420 ft-lb. If I'm not mistaken, diesels generally deliver more torque than horsepower.

Seems kinda weird, though, that ZF, a German company, would name/number its products based on US non-metric units of measure....

"Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races." -- Carroll Shelby

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea your correct I just checked my buddys 94.5 and it's got a S42 I guess I'm gonna take the chance just it was the right price I checked jankyards and they want 1200 for them and there was none in nj I think I'm just gonna brace the foot for the mount because they seem to be the biggest failure with them me and a buddy jus replaced his zf5 in his 450hp 460 f250 due to the pad for the mount brakeing off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts