Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post here. I've done a ZF5 swap from a donor truck and was able to swap everything over except the steering column, it was to far gone so I pulled the column to make it easier for my pedal assemble to go in and work and then when I went to replace it I removed the auto guts from the steering column. Now I'm trying to get the truck started to do a test and the dang thing won't unlock. The key will not turn now, it's like the steering wheel is locked but I've tried everything to unlock it. Here is a few things...
I've got the manual harness hooked up but the pigtail for the reverse lights on the transmission was broke off so I have to replace it therefore the harness isn't plugged in to anything technically but it only plugs into the tranny for the reverse light and transfer case so shouldn't be an issue especially with steering wheel lock.
My thoughts are something still thinks the truck is in drive instead of park but I'm not sure how.
Hope you all can help I'm so close I can taste it.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Theres nothing electronic to lock the ignition. Maybe the actuator rod bound up?
Are you 100% positive you are using the correct key? Just because it fits doesn't mean it is correct.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres nothing electronic to lock the ignition. Maybe the actuator rod bound up?
Are you 100% positive you are using the correct key? Just because it fits doesn't mean it is correct.

That's what I thought was nothing electronic, it's definitely the correct key, it's the only one I have for the truck and the only of this kind I've ever had. I wondered if when I removed the column if the tumblers could have jarred loose making the key now not work? Is this possible? The actuator rod is also a possibility I'm just not sure how to check.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Try turning the key over and try the other teeth on it.

You can also try wiggling the steering wheel back and forth as you try the key.

If the wheel is tight try turning it right or left as you work the key.

The last thing you can try is to pull the column

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try turning the key over and try the other teeth on it.

You can also try wiggling the steering wheel back and forth as you try the key.

If the wheel is tight try turning it right or left as you work the key.

The last thing you can try is to pull the column

Thanks for the response I have tried pretty much all of that, I'm about to go find a manual column at a junkyard just for consistency anyhow but really would like to get it going for now to see how things worked out.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
You can pull the ignition switch from under the dash and work it with a screwdriver I believe

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
You can pull the ignition switch from under the dash and work it with a screwdriver I believe

Yes.
There's also nothing in the auto shifter mechanism to keep it from turning either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts