Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a stock 1996 7.3 4x4 this year. It's not my daily driver and don't plan on working it much just pull the fishing boat around a few times a year other than that just some long hunting trips. All I plan to do for now is; gauges, intake, 4" turbo back, tunes, wicked wheel, that's about it.
It started shifting hard and is throwing a P-1728 code. I'm expecting that I'll be rebuilding the tranny. Based on how I drive (nice and easy) what upgrades are necessary in the rebuild and what is not or just get a Ford reman.

I'm a googler mechanic! If your going to ask me a technical question I'll need a day to look up a smart answer. :laugh:

Thanks for your input

·
Native Texan
9,052 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I brought up some of the upgrades mentioned, 6 pin steel planetary vs stock 4 pin aluminum, HD gen2 blue clutch plates, 45 element intermediate sprag, multi disc billet TC..., and on and on.. The tranny shop who I have no history with say's they can rebuild me a good tranny without all the overkill under 3k. I got a feeling I'm going to loose some hair over this.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I paid less than that for similar upgrades and feel very confident. If the guy knows what he is doing, no hair needs to be risked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts