Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 95 f-250 with the e4od and it keeps blowing or blows the tranny fluid right by the front seal.I am kinda new to this tranny stuff but i rebuilt it in Jan. and have had it in and out 5 times cause it keeps leaking fluid out the front pump seal. the first i rebuilt it...new clutch discs,steals,seals,pump,converter and bushing kit...the second time new front pump seal and solenoid pack...third time new front seal and went threw the valve body...forth time i finally checked the pump which was a remann and the front bushing was coming out so i put a new bushing in it and new seal which lasted about 2 weeks without leaking which was the longest it had lasted since i put it back together.....so i sent the pump back and they sent me another one which i inspected the bushing first thing and put it in today and lasted about 2 min before it started leaking again....any ideas what in the heck is going on here??? i have spent hour upon hours more like days reading everything i can and talking to tranny guys about this and no one can give me any kinda answer!!!

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,092 Posts
Did the pump damage the surface of the torque converter where the seal rides? If that surface is anything less than perfect the seal is going to fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The surface of the converter are smooth as the day i got it. Not sure about a restricted cooler though. how would i check that? last time i had the tranny out i took air and blew out the lines

·
Registered
173 Posts
It happens to E4ODs as they age - IDK exactly why, but it happened to my '93 Bronco once. Puked a gallon out during stop-&-go traffic, so I refilled it, drove home, changed the front seal, and it hasn't happened again. Read this caption & the NEXT 2:

(phone app link)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've seen people use C6 front seals (they physically fit) and have the same problem. Wouldn't hurt to verify that part when changing it. While the C6 seal fits, it will leak. Every time.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,092 Posts
The C6 seal is a downgrade from the E4OD seal. There is an aftermarket seal made from a material called Viton that is far superior to the Ford seal.

Reactions: Mech E

·
Registered
193 Posts
The C6 seal is a downgrade from the E4OD seal. There is an aftermarket seal made from a material called Viton that is far superior to the Ford seal.
That's good to know. I just got done going through the ATSG Handbook to see what upgrades I could do to my 96 transmission. That was not in there lol

·
Registered
173 Posts
There is an aftermarket seal made from a material called Viton that is far superior to the Ford seal.
Got a link, source, brand name, or PN you prefer/recommend/have used? I have 3 E4ODs & a C6 at the moment. Is the Viton seal also what you recommend for the C6?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,092 Posts
I don't have specifics. It's been several years since I was inside a transmission. I never worked on a C6, but I think the seal will work in one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks like the Timken number is 3404, but RockAuto says that's silicon (I guess silicone). Tasca says the pump seal is E9TZ-7A248-B which Amazon says is Viton, but Tasca's page doesn't say what material it is.

RA doesn't even show a C6 for my '93 F250 5.8L. But the seal they say is for the AOD is the same seal they say fits an '88 F250 5.8L 3-sp or 4-sp auto trans: Timken 331107N . So I think you're right that the E4OD seal should fit the C6, but I can't find any confirmation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts