Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my cooler lines to 3/8" since my factory lines are 5/16" and I'm installing a 6.0 31 row cooler.
Can I replace the check valve in the side of the transmission where the return line connects with an inline check valve?
Also can I remove the fittings on the radiator where the cooler lines connect to replace them with 3/8" fittings?
Ideally I would like to run 1/2" lines for the whole system but I don't think I can get that big of a fitting (-8AN) into the radiator. If I bypassed the radiator though it would be no problem.
Do I really need to run it through the radiator?
Wow that was long.......................

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Will the cooler bypass from a 4r100 fit on the e4od?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
Do I really need to run it through the radiator?
The radiator takes a HUGE amount of heat out of the ATF. You can bypass it, but you will lose a lot of cooling capacity, especially at low speeds where the transmission makes a lot of heat.

Will the cooler bypass from a 4r100 fit on the e4od?
I don't know. I'm pretty sure the distance between the fittings is identical, but I don't know about the threads.

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark!
I got the cooler installed today and I am reusing the 5/16" line. I built some nice reducers.
If it works I will keep it the way it is, if not I will attempt to upgrade to larger lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts