Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem. Bought a truck recently, it is a 1997 F350 powerstroke. PO started doing a 4x4 swap. The PO swapped a 4x4 4R100 into it which worked fine for the first week that I owned the truck till I suddenly lost all forward gears. After searching I determined that no forward gears (even in manual 1 and 2) had to be something broken in the Transmission. At this point I didn't know it was a 4R100 but did have realy hard TC lockup which makes sense. The rebuilder noticed that it was a 4R100 and put a E4od solenoid pack as well as a pump in so everything should work correctly. Once reinstalled Reverse, as well as manual 1 and 2 seem to work fine but putting it in Drive it seems to start in 4th. No codes.

What I have done.
  • verified tons of times that the transmission fluid level is correct (cycle through all gears then place in park and check while running)
  • Pulled the harness and checked for resistance, all checked okay (although some of worn insulation that I fixed) I have no problems found in the wiring harness
  • Checked the MLPS and have all the proper readings in all gear selections
  • Verified that I have Power on pin 1 and 12 at the solenoid connection
  • KOEO test come back good, unplugged the harness and everything failed as you would expect, replugged it all in and it test good again (can hear all the solenoids firing as well)
  • Checked resistance on the solenoids and all are equal and within range
At this point I'm at a loss so I have a couple of questoins

Can the KOEO test come back good with a bad PCM that isn't sending the proper commands when everything is assembled and I try to drive?
Could something be wrong inside the transmission causing this issue?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hey, sorry not much help, but a suggestion, try posting this in the transmission section, the E4OD guy here is awesome, but you stand a better chance of him seeing it there. Good luck!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't realize there was a transmission section. Anyway I can move this to avoid double posting?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If a moderator stops by they can move it, I don't think you can though, if so I don't know how.

Welcome to PSN!

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,062 Posts
When neither shift solenoid has power the trans will stay in fourth gear when in OD. In both 2 and 1 you will have second gear, and reverse works normally.

You say you have power on pins 1 & 12 and can hear the shift solenoids actuate. My only guess is that there is a connection problem between the vehicle harness and the solenoid body.

·
Administrator
8,184 Posts
Mark, i posted the bad news "i think" over at the other place on my 02 F350 4X4 issues.
could you take a look please and confirm my suspicions, or tell me i am wrong?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When neither shift solenoid has power the trans will stay in fourth gear when in OD. In both 2 and 1 you will have second gear, and reverse works normally.

You say you have power on pins 1 & 12 and can hear the shift solenoids actuate. My only guess is that there is a connection problem between the vehicle harness and the solenoid body.
Okay, I will check the harness over again but I have already confirmed that there are no shorts or breaks from the PCM all the way to the transmission. Assuming there is a problem between the vehicle Harness and solenoid body wouldn't the KOEO test fail? If I unplug the harness and run the test I get codes for all the solenoids as well as transmission temp and pressure. (I did this to verify that my code reader can actually check and verify that nothing was working) with the Harness plugged in I get no codes and can hear the solenoids working. Last night I was under the truck with the key on (engine off) and was able to hear solenoids actuating while manually shifting the gear lever. Just trying to figure out if something inside the transmission can cause the same problem even if the solenoids are getting the proper signals or if the PCM can fail to send the proper signals even if it seems to with a scanner. My scanner also reads that the transmission is in the proper gears although I'm not sure if this is just the reading from the mlps or what the PCM is sending to the solenoid pack. (First in 1, Second in 2 and First in D) even though in Drive it seems to be taking off in a higher gear. I want to check over everything possible before spending the time to remove the transmission and take it back to the rebuild shop (no transmission places in my town so it is about and hour and a bit away)

I have also since looked over the VSS cable for what good that does (could have an internal break) I didn't remove and test as the speedo works perfectly so I assume the VSS is good as well. I'm fairly certain this wouldn't cause my problem anyway from the reading I've done.

some more info also, the entire cooling system was replaced before reinstalling as the rebuilder said the failure was due to heat (something fuesd together, can't remember what but if it matters I could find out) New Rad, New cooler, and new lines.

Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
8,184 Posts
make sure ALL fuses are good. i ran into a problem years ago with a 95 that had trans issues.
it had a bad 10 amp fuse. replaced the fuse and everything started working properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
make sure ALL fuses are good. i ran into a problem years ago with a 95 that had trans issues.
it had a bad 10 amp fuse. replaced the fuse and everything started working properly.
I have done this but I'll double check everything again. Would love to find a solution that doesn't involve pulling the transmission again.

·
Administrator
8,184 Posts
i always test fuses with a test light. i have seen way too many that look good but are actually bad.

·
PSN intsigator
6,413 Posts
I test them with a volt meter to test actual voltage. I've been burned a few times with a fuse that tests good ohm wise and with a test light. FYI most test lights will light up at 6VDC. But that ain't enough to let anything work in a 12 volt application

·
Administrator
8,184 Posts
so true Doc. i hav ea good test light, and you can tell the difference between 6. 8, and 12 volts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I guess it's worth mentioning, sometimes a fuse will test good, with a voltmeter, test light, power probe, whatever, but the wire is pushed out the backside of the fuse box. That one has bit me in the rump a couple times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll make sure to check that all. Regardless wouldn't the truck fail all the test then? I'm getting power to the transmission and solenoids are actuating during self test and when place in gear. I would assume a bad fuse would mean no power would it not? I have checked all the fuses with a multi meter before I even pulled the harness to check that. I'll verify that non of the wires have come loose at the fuse box.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Have you contacted your rebuilder?

It's odd that it worked fine, then didn't after the valve body was changed.

I don't know if the wiring is different between a 4R100 and E40D, maybe the previous owner changed the wiring somewhere?

Purely speculation on my part, but might want to research a little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My understanding is that there isn't any difference that would cause it not to work. The difference is in the pumps and the way the torque converter locks up. The wiring I believe is the same but a 4R100 has a pwm activated torque converter and a e4od is on off. Requires pump modification or the proper pump to be used to negate a hard torque converter lockup. The rebuilder put in the proper pump and solenoid pack for the year of truck so all that should work as it is supposed to. I am going to call in the morning, just wanted to make sure I had checked everything possible over the weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So finally got it to the transmission shop today. Turns out to be a bad solenoid pack. Apparently the solenoid was clicking and sounded good, but wasn't actually pulling in because of a mechanical failure according the the rebuilder. She should have a new pack in on Monday and I'll go and pick it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts